Windows Live Messenger, 'required information'


R

Rick

I recently purchased a new laptop computer with a built in webcam, it's been
a few years since I last bothered (with Net meeting ) but decided to setup
Windows Live Messenger, which was already installed on the computer, I got
almost to the end of the registration when two of the information boxes
asked for my 'postal code' and 'year of birth', having decided that the
(almost exact) location of my house and when I was born was none of
Microsoft's business, I ignored those two requests and moved on to the end,
however I'm then informed, in red letters, that these two fields are
'required' information, I'd like to ask why?
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Dave-UK

Rick said:
I recently purchased a new laptop computer with a built in webcam, it's been
a few years since I last bothered (with Net meeting ) but decided to setup
Windows Live Messenger, which was already installed on the computer, I got
almost to the end of the registration when two of the information boxes
asked for my 'postal code' and 'year of birth', having decided that the
(almost exact) location of my house and when I was born was none of
Microsoft's business, I ignored those two requests and moved on to the end,
however I'm then informed, in red letters, that these two fields are
'required' information, I'd like to ask why?
You need to ask Microsoft. This newsgroup has no connection with Microsoft.
To complete your registration, just put false information in the two 'required' fields.
 
S

SC Tom

Rick said:
I recently purchased a new laptop computer with a built in webcam, it's
been a few years since I last bothered (with Net meeting ) but decided to
setup Windows Live Messenger, which was already installed on the computer,
I got almost to the end of the registration when two of the information
boxes asked for my 'postal code' and 'year of birth', having decided that
the (almost exact) location of my house and when I was born was none of
Microsoft's business, I ignored those two requests and moved on to the end,
however I'm then informed, in red letters, that these two fields are
'required' information, I'd like to ask why?
Don't know why, but I would guess it's like a survey just wanting to know
the geographic locations and ages of the users. They may later use this info
for area- or age-specific add-ons in their products. Just a thought. . .
If you're uncomfortable giving them that info, do like Dave-UK suggested and
give a fake zip and birth date.
 
R

Rick

SC Tom said:
Don't know why, but I would guess it's like a survey just wanting to know
the geographic locations and ages of the users. They may later use this
info for area- or age-specific add-ons in their products. Just a thought.
. .
If you're uncomfortable giving them that info, do like Dave-UK suggested
and give a fake zip and birth date.
That's what I'll do then, it's just that it seems a bit of a liberty on the
part of Microsoft of not allowing the option of declining from giving the
kind of personal information which I'm sure many people would resent
giving.. You don't happen to know where I can find Bill Gates's zip code do
you?-)
 
C

Chris Sidener

Rick said:
That's what I'll do then, it's just that it seems a bit of a liberty on
the part of Microsoft of not allowing the option of declining from giving
the kind of personal information which I'm sure many people would resent
giving.. You don't happen to know where I can find Bill Gates's zip code
do you?-)
98083
 
R

Rick

Chris Sidener said:
Our codes on this side of the pond are usually prefixed by letters, I
checked it out on a website and got, age Born, October 28, 1955 zip code WA
98039, I'll stick that in and see what happens, just as long as I don't get
the FBI knocking on the front door!
 
Ad

Advertisements

H

housetrained

Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
 
R

Rick

housetrained said:
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite! Extradite!
Extradite!
What is that they say? 'many a true word spoken in jest'...
 
J

johnbee

Rick said:
That's what I'll do then, it's just that it seems a bit of a liberty on
the part of Microsoft of not allowing the option of declining from giving
the kind of personal information which I'm sure many people would resent
giving.. You don't happen to know where I can find Bill Gates's zip code
do you?-)
If British, try these:

SW1A 2AA
SW1A 0AA

which are, respectively, 10 Downing Street and the Houses of Parliament.
 
S

SC Tom

Rick said:
That's what I'll do then, it's just that it seems a bit of a liberty on
the part of Microsoft of not allowing the option of declining from giving
the kind of personal information which I'm sure many people would resent
giving.. You don't happen to know where I can find Bill Gates's zip code
do you?-)
Use Aug. 4, 1961 and 20500. That should get a response :)
 
R

Rick

SC Tom said:
Use Aug. 4, 1961 and 20500. That should get a response :)
I got an immediate response, for some reason they wanted me to send them my
birth certificate?
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

SC Tom

Rick said:
I got an immediate response, for some reason they wanted me to send them
my birth certificate?
Haven't seen the black helicopters yet, have you?
 
K

Ken Blake

Don't know why, but I would guess it's like a survey just wanting to know
the geographic locations and ages of the users. They may later use this info
for area- or age-specific add-ons in their products.

I don't know anything about Messenger, but I suspect that you're
right. It's probably like registration of Windows (I don't mean
activation, which is mandatory--as opposed to registration, which is
optional). That registration info is used for marketing purposes, and
that's why I almost always recommend *not* registering Windows.
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Steve B

Not sure why this info is so important to MS. Just enter a fake postal code
and be done with it.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top