Windows Live Messenger 2011

Reaction score
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Sony Vaio Notebook. Buying into the advertising hype I upgraded the previous version of WLM I was using, downloaded and and installed WLM 2011. Despite my best efforts, which included uninstalling and reinstalling WML 2011 numerous times, I cannot even get to the log on screen. WLM used to open up on start-up, now I have to open it from the menue/desktop icon, and the WLM icon will flash in my tray until I click on it. Then I get the "Windows Live has stopped working" The program supposedly checks for a solution and then advises me "The program stopped working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you (me??) if a solution is found". I have tried reverting to an older version of WLM without success. I have also scanned the internet in search of solutions but it seems most forums are only trying to push questionable software/tools that may do even more damage to my computer. I have Chrome, Firefox and IE9 browsers installed but use Chrome primarily when desiring to log onto WLM. I haven't changed any other configurations that would lead me to suspect a program conflict. I'm tempted to download another messenger platform and give up on WLM forever. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
my advice, never buy into any kinda hype. i suggest a downgrade to something you're more comfortable with. if it is essential that you upgrade to 2011 then perhaps a way of receiving faster and more precise assistance would be to consult with the WLM help center directly at http://explore.live.com/windows-live-messenger-help-center

also i might suggest a reinstallation and see if that helps.. good luck

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I know it's all a matter of personal taste. I didn't like 2011 either and using the standard uninstall method didn't allow me to re-install the 2009 version I'd grown used to. I only use Mail by the way.

So I did a FULL re-install of Live 2011 and monitored what was going on. I then made a text list of all the install strings (CLSID's) and made a bat file to uninstall the lot (msiexec /x command).

After this I was able to reinstall Live 2009. I saved the files and stuck them up on MediaFire. So if you are interested:
Live 2011 Uninstall:
Live 2011 msiexec.zip
If you use the above bat file to uninstall 2011, you will of course make a System Restore point before running it.
Won't you??

Live 2009 Installer:
Windows Live 2009 v14.0.8.zip

Last edited:

Ask a Question