Windows Live Messenger 2011 ... problems

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but have been lurking for awhile. Many good ppl here and hopefully someone can help.

I happened to install the new messenger 2011 and it looks really nice.

1) The problem is everytime someone sends me a file, they get the message:
"Sorry but the person your are sending a file to is using an older version of messenger." <--makes no sense

2) Every time I have a few conversations with different ppl, after around 20 min or so, one of the conversation windows crashes and I have no idea what that person wrote to me. It just stays frozen until I close it.

The new windows live messenger is aesthetically pleasing. lots of eye candy and improvements. One thing that annoyed me was upon installing, it asked if I would like to save my current settings... I said yes. But settings are different so nothing stayed the same.

Anyway, I hope someone is experiencing same thing and has a solution. Or, feel free to rant like me

P.S. I reinstalled 3 times including repair and......... nothing!

Kind Regards

Last edited:
Reaction score
i have found proper fix for the various problems with the new msn, other than to disable that conversation tabbing thing, make them seperate windows - ive also disabled the msn - wmp linkage, just as a precaution to the random hangs; so far so good. another and possibly random occurance is the hang AFTER youve downloaded something from firefox, it can be anything from a jpg to an exe. i havent tried it with other browsers, so i cant say for certain.

long story short, its weird. and theres no real way to fix it. msn forums are all saying the same : its not msn, its 3rd part software, do a clean uninstall and reinstall of msn, see how that goes. - basically, generic troubleshoot ftl.

Ask a Question