Windows Live Messenger 2011

Reaction score
I seem to be having issues with MSN. Keeps disconnecting. I have searched everywhere for weeks and weeks and cannot find a solution. After about 2-5 minutes of being online it d/c and i have to sign in again etc.

I have already reset password so that is not the issue. I have tried downgrading and issue still happened, so upgraded.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The only other thing that popped into my head is something that used to happen in IRC. If my firewall would block the port the server used to ping my location then the server thought I had lost connection and would kill me off of chat. So perhaps messenger works similar? Maybe make sure any ports messenger needs are open in your firewall.

Reaction score
I have tried alot of things with no luck... starting to become such an Issue I am thinking either reimage PC or contact Microsoft.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you use a cleaning tool? Some of these tools can cause damage so that is a possible cause though I don't know it causes this situation. So if you use a tool like that please mention it.

On the other hand, browsers for example, can get clogged with too many cookies etc so CCleaner is an excellent tool which is very safe to use. I recommend running the first two pieces of CCleaner to free up space and to clean the registry and see if that helps. I don't know if it will help with your Messenger or not but it won't hurt. Find CCleaner in our Freeware DB

I would try uninstalling Messenger using Revo Uninstaller (also in the freeware DB), then run ccleaner (specifically registry cleaning), reboot, then reinstall.

Reaction score
I tried all that (removed WLM2011, wiped registry of all windows live messanger related folders/keys. ran cc cleaner etc. restarted then installed wlm2009). It restarts still but not as often as it did. I submitted a support ticket with Microsoft Live Messanger Support.

Information below incase anyone else has any ideas;
Question Summary
I am getting other Sign in errors
Please provide your impacted Email address :
*Removed this part on W7Forums for my safety*
Enter the exact error that you are experiencing :
MSN Signs me in and out saying something about connection problem. I am able to browse net during this time tho.
Can you login to other Windows Live Services ?
No
Choose your firewall manufacturer :
McAfee
Choose your Operating System version :
Windows 7
Which version of Windows Live Messenger are you using ?
Version 2009 (14.0.8117.416)
Are other users able to Sign in from the same computer ?
No

Additional Details
Windows Live Messanger 2009 signs me in and out randomly saying something about "Attempting to connect". This happened for WLM2011 so I downgraded to WLM2009. My internet still works but msn signs out and in.

This has happened for ages and ages. Maybe since IE8.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This has happened for ages and ages. Maybe since IE8.
IE8 came with W7 so are you saying ever since you installed W7 or are you saying you are using the beta of IE9?

And are you using W7 64-bit? If so, are you using the 32 or the 64-bit browser?

Try turning off McAfee including turning off the firewall (the firewall is the most important!) and then run WLM. I would bet money on blocked ports.

Still won't work? Do you have a router? because it can also have a firewall.

Ask a Question