windows live messenger 2011

Reaction score
hallo chaps.

lets get right to it : new msn has been officially released as of sept 2010. i updated out of boredom, and lo and behold, its terrible. it hangs every few seconds, makes talking to people almost impossible, and hell, likes to crash when i sign in too.
ive reinstalled, hasnt worked.

also of note, when wlm(new msn acronym?) installs, it sneakily installs silverlight aswell. since ive no use for silverlight, nor do i like sneaky installs, i deleted it the first time round. this time ive left it, incase wlm needs it to work?

any thoughts would be nice. thanks in advance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My thought ... thanks for the warning, I won't install it.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
For some reason, MSN wasn't ever a good software, performance - wise.

I thunk that I will install just to see what it does.

Thanks for the warning though.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I cannot comment on Messenger, (Is that the program to which your refer?) as I do not use it. But silverlight, through Windows lIve Beta, offered free storage space.
But I will admit I was confused by your references, so could be up the wrong path!!

When you say "wlm(new msn acronym?) " Do you mean Outlook? Could be wrong, but I don't think Live Mail and messenger are similar operators?

I think that, possibly, it no longer installs automatically on your hard disk. I cannot verify it, as I do, in any case, have the full silverlight on mine.

P.S. OK. I uninstalled Silverlight. Reinstalled Windows live, using only Mail and Messenger. Yes. It does still install Silverlight.

Fwiw. I ran a few passes on Messenger. It seemed to be trouble free, but my tries were very brief. Agasin, Windows Live mail, or messenger, do not need Silverlight to run correctly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i deleted silverlight last night once i looked up on it and saw no reference to windows live messenger.

as to the wlm mail=/=messenger, i meant messenger. msn isnt what its called anymore, what with being slammed into the windows live essential package.

ive found no fix other than rebooting, and im not 100% but there may be a link to the windows media player and messenger making a nice little hang package - not with wmp, just on wlmsn side, will look into it a little bit more.

Ask a Question