Windows "Glowing" On Sides

Reaction score
I've been noticing something wrong about the windows on my desktop since yesterday, and tried searching for a solution for it. However, nobody seems to have had this problem before as I couldn't find any topics related to my problem.

I'm running Windows 7 x64-bit, and my problem is that I'm seeing a faded "glow" to the right of the windows on my desktop, and a darker fade to the left of them. The fade looks like the window, and if I scroll up and down on the open window the fade will scroll too. This does not happen on a background that is only one colour.

*Video removed*

I've tried troubleshooting Windows Aero but it didn't detect any problems. I installed a previous version of my graphics card but that didn't help either. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I am having trouble seeing what's wrong. I played the clip several times, even maximized to full-screen and I am still not picking up on what you are referring to...

Reaction score
It's a glow effect to the right of the window, as if it were giving off a shadow of light. It's the opposite for the left side, which looks like an actual shadow.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't really see it. This is to be expected however if the issue is your monitor and you didn't use an external device (like a camera phone) to record the image. If you did use an external camera then perhaps it's just too dark and too low a resolution for me.

It is possible your monitor is going bad but more likely you have some pixels over-magnatized; I would suggest degaussing your monitor. Normally there is an option to do this in your monitors settings panel.

Reaction score
I have an LCD monitor, so I cannot degauss it.
It's easier to see the glow on the top and bottom of the sides for me, and on 1080p. (shouldn't be looking directly at/in the window, but outside it)
It's very faint, and looks like a ghost of the window.
(My brother says he can see it on his monitor as well, and also told me it's a "visual effect shadow thingy" and is supposed to be there) So, sorry for making you as confused about it as I was.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Still don't see it. As I said before, if the issue is with your MONITOR then we will not see it in a screen shot.

Can you try a different monitor? Maybe have a look at your posted video/images from a friends computer and see if it appears the same to you as it does at home.

Reaction score
I just edited my last post to say that my brother could see it on his monitor, and to say that he said it was a visual effect and supposed to be there. It may be slightly annoying, but if it's part of Windows I'll just have to deal with it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well windows shading etc can be disabled if that's all it is.

Reaction score
How would I go about doing that? Because I've tried switching to a basic and high contrast theme in Personalization, if that's what you're talking about.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have you tried turning down your contrast and brightness settings? This may not be possible if using a digital signal.

Reaction score
I have tried turning them down, but it's not my monitor that's that problem. The only way I can see it going away would be to modify a Windows system file, and I'm not even going to attempt to think about doing that.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
but it's not my monitor that's that problem
I saw where you said it happened on your brother's monitor, but I was not sure that meant you tried two monitors on your computer and both monitors displayed the same problem. Is that what happened? If so, then I agree it is not the monitor, but this is NOT Windows or it would be a widespread issue. So if not Windows and not the monitor, that leaves something in the graphics solution; card, driver, settings.

Reaction score
My brother has his own computer and monitor (his is HD, mine is not), which he used to watch my video. I tried doing a clean install of my previous video card driver version, and I tried changing its display and colour settings.

Reaction score
I'm thinking its a shadow that is cast around all window frames. If you place the window over a white area, you can see the shadow more clearly. The shadow is thin and makes the window look ghostly. You won't see the black shadow on a totally black background.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That faded glow? you mean a shadow? That would be a visual feature in windows 7 that can be turned off in the performance options menu area.

Right click "Computer" link in your start menu, choose properties, go "Advanced system settings", and choose the button option in this new window that pops up ("Settings") below "Performance". Find the option "Show shadows under windows".

Reaction score
It's not the shadow that goes all around the border of the window that I'm talking about. It looks as if whatever is in the window doesn't stop at the edge of it like it should, and instead turns nearly invisible and keeps going until it hits the edge of my monitor. I tested resizing my broswer horizontally in windowed mode with a variety of different colour backgrounds, and Grey 4% seems to show it best.
This is what it looks like. Comparison A Comparison B
I hope you can finally see what I'm talking about.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not exactly... I'm not quite sure what you want us to look at to be quite honest. I don't see anything strange

It has to be a monitor issue on your part, unless we're still not getting what you're trying to show us.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, in your two COMPARISON pictures the first one is completely black, no window.

In the second picture is this forum thread and within that window Clifford's post is not sized properly but the one above and below are. I have this marked with a red rectagle and #1 in my attachment. His post doesn't resize like it should and that is likely an issue with the Firefox version you are using, not your video card or monitor. Is that what you mean?

I have also included a white rectangle labeled #2 and everything in there is black on my screen. Are you saying you see text out there?

Item #1, as I said is likely a browser issue, what version of Firefox do you use? But if you see something in the area marked #2 then I suspect that is a monitor or driver issue because it IS completely black when I look at it.

Compare1or2.jpg

Reaction score
I see faint transparent boxes and stuff in the #2 region from the window to the left of it. Though, I tried reversing my monitor cable and it only slightly went away, so it's most likely a monitor cable issue. (Are cables included when referring to monitor issues?) :eek:
Looks like I wasted a whole bunch of everyone's time. Sorry for putting you all through that, and thanks for helping me out. You can close/delete this topic now.

Solution: Replace VGA cable.

Ask a Question