SOLVED Failed to connect to a windows service

Reaction score
Was hoping to read this forum just for knowledge gained about win7
but need to send my first post already! Hope its in the right area.

Booted up computer this morning and got message that reads as follows

"Failed to connect to a windows service
Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service.
This problem prevents standardusers from logging on to the system. As an
administative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about
why the service didn't respond

Will now only display Windows Classic theme, Aero themes greyed out , Right click on Desktop hangs on timer symbol, Programs seem to work as normal.
This is my first win7 computer (a couple weeks old) don't know my way around yet, but found the Event Logs, didn't make any sense to me, not sure what is relevent to my problem. Checked Device manager which says all devices working properly.
Is this something I may have changed or is it a problem with the system??

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Run a complete scan for viruses then ...

Did you disable any services? Or install any software that disables services to gain performance (like Tune-Up Utilities, game booster, etc).

Easiest thing to do is a system restore to a restore point prior to the problems and see if it returns to normal.

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt reply

Haven't disabled any services (at least not knowingly) nor installed any software.
Ran virus scan (Microsoft Security Essentials) as suggested and found the following:

Exploit:Java/CVE-2012-0507.CG
Exploit:Java/Blacole.FN
Exploit:Java/Blacole.ET

Have attached thumbnail of MSE log

Removed this with MSE but still have same problem. Removed and reinstalled Java with latest version (both 32bit and 64bit as suggested on oracle website as I have both versions of IE9 on my computer) still no joy

Should I run repair from my win7 Install disk or do system restore??

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You should download TDSSKiller and a couple versions of RKILL using links in our Freeware DB. Then boot up in safe mode and run TDSSKiller and then two or three versions of RKILL. Then, still in safe mode, run a complete virus scan and removal.

The viruses need to definitely be gone before you move forward.

Reaction score
Sorry haven't been able to answer earlier
Downloaded TDSSKiller and RKILL as suggested and ran scans but found no further problems. Remembered I had linux based Kaspersky Rescue Disc 10 which worked a treat in XP computer ran from CD, tried that and found what it listed as an archive of the Exploit:Java malware, cleared and nothing further was found.
Did a system restore and all is now OK.
Thanks for your help

Ask a Question