Windows failed to start.

Reaction score
Okay, so I've had my Dell Inspiron N4110 for about a year now and I have never had this kind of problem. And I'm not really sure what I did to it for it to happen.

I sat my laptop down for a minute and went into another room. I came back and it had restarted, but was now on a screen that said:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fixt he problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally.

Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
Start Windows Normally"

I have clicked both of those 2 options several times, but it all comes back to this original error recovery screen.

When I click both, it comes up with a white bar that says "windows is loading files", but in the end it just goes right back to this screen.

I have done everything when I press F8 on startup:

"Repair Your Computer

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally"

I have clicked all of those, but it just leads right back to the windows error recovery screen.

At this point, I have no idea what else I am supposed to do so I'm looking for a little (okay a lot) of help.

I'm not even sure if I'm posting in the right place (sorry if I'm not. I've never been here before).

So can someone please give me some guidance as to what I do?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you tried the Last Known Good Configuration option?

If that doesn't work either, you could check for hardware issues by running the Dell Diagnostics feature:

1. Turn on (or restart) your computer.
2. When the DELL logo appears, press <F12> immediately.
3. Select Diagnostics from the menu and press <Enter>. During the assessment, answer any questions that appear.

(More information available in the product manual available here.)

Ask a Question