SOLVED Windows doesn't "see" Backup Drives

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was going to clear some backup space for my notebook, using my desktop as the dumping ground, but something's happened. Although my backup drives shows in "Devices", it doesn't show up under "Computer" any longer.

Funny, I can fire up any of my backup programs, it can see the drives to back them up, but when selecting a backup device, they don't show.

But when I boot into Linux, they show on the home screen with the other shortcuts (like they always have), along with the contents of the drives (the folders). Flash drives shows up OK in both OS's.

Anyone else had this issue before? This is weird, one OS reports them and the other doesn't.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This was the weirdest thing that's ever happened with a backup drive on me. On the TechNet forum, there was a suggestion to assign a letter (M or higher), I did this with Mini Tool Partition Wizard.

But all of my drives were doing this, just assigning a letter to one fixed all of them. Still, I don't understand what happened (to cause this), but if someone else runs into this issue, this will probably fix it.

Cat

Ask a Question