Thinking out load :)

Windows 12 Ultimate 256-Bit
256GB DDR5 PC-64000 8-GHz memory
400TB SSD
Holographic Monitor
200MB Wireless Internet
Fully voice controlled and follows you everywhere

Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade to 7 mainly 'cos I'll be upgrading hardware and it makes sense to use latest O/S probably 64bit.
Having said that I find XP does all I need to and as I have not updated any major software for years I could probably survive even when support is withdrawn for XP.
I have some mates still using '98 and in one extreme case '95 albeit his is an offline machine. I remember '95 had to go when it encountered 'timing loop errors' as it could not cope with the faster processors coming out then.. There was a software patch but it was never stable after that. I think XP could survive a long time for people who have what they need and aren't looking for new software.
I read somewhere that new HDD drives will be a problem for XP so in the end it probably be hardware issues that bring about it's ultimate demise.

Mychael

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, hardware is right. The large majority of the computers that currently run XP will be gone by the time the support for XP is gone. And I just don't see a XP based Virtual PC with Windows 8. The whole purpose of it being offered now is for the current Windows 7 users to wean themselves from XP, and to give them time to replace their printers and other hardware that was built in the late 90's. Three years is enough time to adjust and move forward.

Reaction score
catilley do you not think that some XP users will continue using XP until after Windows 8 comes out. I can still see a need for XP Mode in Windows 8. Now if they dropped support for XP now and not closer to the release date for Windows 8, I might would agree with you. If they are going to carry support for XP all the way to the release of Windows 8, I believe there should be XP Mode for support just as you mentioned there is for Windows 7. Whether there will be or not, we will just have to wait and see.

Reaction score
I for one would, as mentioned in another post. The only reason I'll change is I plan to upgrade my hardware. For me XP does all I ever need to do and I'd never bother to swap it over. I was still using '98 when vista was around.

Ask a Question