Windows 8 won't support 32bit

Reaction score
This is because I feel that most folks are doing upgrade installs instead of clean installs. Also they're probably not getting the latest drivers.
I have had NO ISSUES with Windows 7 x64 at all.

Basically what Thrax says hits the nail on the head. It is amazing how many "Windows 7 Freeze" issues there are on this forum website. It convinces me that the vast majority of those with issues on Windows 7 really don't have any idea of what they're doing.

They just buy the discs and then expect miracles to occur upon install. You HAVE to do the homework and research and make sure all hardware is 64 bit compatible.
It is not like buying a new car and turning the ignition key on, a little more complicated than that. Why do you think that there are so many computer repair shops?
I Think they are bad apples and should learn before they start.

Reaction score
Well If it's part of learning they would start to listen.

I tell people all the time to do their homework and decide before they do. anyway I'am sick and tied of people comming to me and asking "How do you install windows", "Windows 7 don't work and XP did" or "Windows 7 Is no good". Well It's worked for me so you are doing somthing wrong. gues what it happens all the time at work. so remember homework first then buy.

(This is not to put anyone down, but it's some simple stuff that you see every day).

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I disagree because starting is part of learning.
I agree c_c! Starting is part of learning, I am completely self-taught in computers and software. It's been fun, frustrating, exhilarating, exasperating, but most of all rewarding.

I may have come across as pontificating somewhat in my previous post, however I believe it mostly rings true.

The internet is LOADED with websites and how-to tutorials on installing Windows 7. I know I spent many an hour researching my system build's hardware before purchasing it to be sure it would be compatible with Windows 7.

Installing XP was a literally a "walk in the park" compared to Windows 7, for most users. That's because Windows 7 is a little more sophisticated than XP. Installing Windows 7 is a different learning curve, but once one has the hang of it, it's nearly as easy as XP.

Reaction score
I First learnt how to use a comupter when I was 12 and then when I was 14 I started to learn how to fix simple stuff and replaced parts now I'am 16 and have learn't heps more since starting a part time job in a computer shop. But at first I turned to books and used info from the internet. So really I have tought my self.

I first came relly interested when my freinds mother was doing it when I was 12 she gave me one (An old compaq desk pro) and a few old broken ones to play with.

I now have a computer bought from a computer shop 1 year ago and have been building it up now. Just adding extra RAM, LCD Monitor and few other small things.

But it's been fun and I'am all ways learning new things. But if I can do it anyone can you just need some time and some patience.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Actually, Windows 7 is much easier to install than XP, when you consider all of the updating you have to do. I'm just finishing setting up a virtual machine (XP) on one of my laptops. The VM installed itself, for the most part. Completely setting up and updating XP Pro on it took three hours. On the same laptop, Windows 7 was fully installed and updated in an hour. And as Nibiru2012, I'm self learned on these things. Through trial and error (or "hands on") is the best way to learn. I'm in the process of learning VM's now. VM Player (not VMLite) is the proper way to run XP mode if your hardware doesn't support Microsoft's Virtual PC.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I've reinstalled Win7 many times, and it takes about 20 minutes from start to desktop. Very few clicks on the way. I've never had it blue screen on me, either. That is not to say that people who have difficulty with it are by default doing something wrong; there are many different hardware configurations. Sometimes things work out of the box, sometimes you need to tweak them a little.

My guess is that most of the people having difficulty with a Win7 installation are either installing it on archaic hardware, or they're doing an "upgrade." Or both. Fresh install = easy install. Upgrade option = enjoy the troubleshooting and crappy performance.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I said "for most users". Not everyone!

Also, when XP first came out it was an extremely easy install because there wasn't a ton of updates to DL and install.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I said "for most users". Not everyone!

Also, when XP first came out it was an extremely easy install because there wasn't a ton of updates to DL and install.
It's a helluva lot of them now! Update, restart, update again. About six or seven times. But it's worth the effort to me.

Ask a Question