Windows 8 will likely cost less than Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Yesterday, Microsoft put up an interesting post about Media Center and Windows 8. While the post gave a lot of insight on how the application will be used with Windows 8, there is a key takeaway from the post and that is that native DVD/Blu-ray playback will not be supported.
This is a big change because if Microsoft defers to third party applications to support these formats, the company does not have to pay the royalties associated with DVD/Blu-ray.
If Microsoft is cutting out the royalty payments, is the company looking to lower the cost of entry for Windows 8? The idea is not unheard of. We have already seen Apple drastically lower the cost for its operating system and Microsoft could be looking to do the same.
Read More..

Last edited by a moderator:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Unless it comes with a two-digit price tag, I'm not going anywhere near it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The "Read More" link does not work.

All Windows 8 really is, is a tuned-up version of Windows 7 for touchscreens. Nothing about it has really impressed me... yet. Some things about it are worthless as teats on a boar hog.

Windows Media Center is okay... but it's not the quality of Corel's WinDVD media software.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I went ahead and fixed his link.

If I had a touchscreen device it might be nice but otherwise I don't need it. Probably most people don't need it which is a good reason for it to be cheaper.

Reaction score
I most likely am going to upgrade both my desktop and my laptop ... having the price be cheaper than usual sounds pretty good to me.

Reaction score
I used windows 8 beta and it was awesome... just some bugs.. ill prefer to buy Original stuff when its launched but not in my office Pc's as we need Windows XP for Financial Database Softwares...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the software will only run in XP then you use a virtual PC - XP environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question