windows 7 x32 or x64?

Reaction score
I need to know if I can/should get windows 7 x86 (sorry for the mistake, just realised) or x64
I have no idea what information about my computer that I need to show but here's some
processor: amd phenom ii x2 550
motherboard: 785gtm-e45
ram: 4gb
graphics: radeon hd 4850
Hope there's help and sorry for being a newbie:eek:

Reaction score
Hi kami - Welcome to w7forums

I would suggest x64 as it is the OS of the future and will make use of all 4GB of your ram.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Kami

Yes go 64-bit and the ATI Radeon HD 4850 is a great Graphics Card (good all rounder, and made nVidia blink :lol:)

Reaction score
One last thought

We have heard reports about Radeon 4850 failing Windows install. If this happens try installing Windows with your onboard graphics. Once Windows has finished installing add your Radeon 4850 card then.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
^ Good point Clifford and do drop to 2GB RAM at install also unplug all USBs (external HDDs, Printer etc)

Reaction score
Thanks all for your help but I have no idea how to do all that:confused:
I guess I'll just try installing with everything on it and if that fails then ill try doing all that

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Do you know anyone that has experience with Computers as the Graphics Card would need to be removed and some RAM, if your not sure yourself please don't try ask someone who has performed hardware changes before.

Reaction score
I have no one :(
but I heard it's not very difficult and I'll do some research before doing all that

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I would be happy to talk you through uninstalling your GPU and Ram if you wish.

Reaction score
omg I need to uninstall something? :confused:
A guide or step by step instruction on what I need to do would be great thanks

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
OK first you need to know about ESD (Electrostatic discharge) thats your body static and it can destroy Computer components ... so i would say you don't have a static strap/cuff >

So when you take your side panel off your Computer touch the metal case with your fingers to discharge your body static (your mains power cable is to be left plugged in to your Computer and in (but switched off) at the wall socket.

Next we will look at your RAM how many RAM sticks are installed in your Computer ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
To put the RAM stick you have just removed from your Computer on.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Yes and it will take me a few mins to put the post together... dont go away M8 :D

Reaction score
oh I have another question
as I have only 1 harddrive after a clean install everything will be deleted right?
meaning I'll need to install drivers again? Previous registries will also be deleted?

Reaction score
You can do a clean install without wiping the drive clean but all programs will need to be re-installed as well as the drivers.

It would be best to wipe the drive clean though

Ask a Question