Windows 7 Validation

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Oh, the irony.

More BS from the company that never learns.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry davehc, I missed that one. Yesterdays' release cements it I guess.:)
No prob. It was not meant as a criticism.M8. I was just lumping together the available info.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
At the very least, hopefully it will stop the inexperienced pirates. Professionals seem to be able to do whatever they want, in this regard. It is unfortunate, but piracy will always be here, to some degree.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I don't think this will affect those who use the SLIC loaders, they've been in use since Vista and MS has not stopped those at all.

Those who have use the WAT crack or hack will probably have problems though.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What is curious about this is that the process is voluntary, and you can remove the update if you wish. That's what Mr. Williams said in his report. If they are so serious about this issue, why announce to the world it's voluntary? Every pirate that has the least bit of intelligence will refuse the update, if they have read this report.

Reaction score
Who care's about validation just activate it. that's all you need to do or know.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Validation is just part of the process. MS does it automatically.

When a person installs Microsoft Security Essentials, it does a validation check to be sure the Windows 7 is a genuine install, that's all.

Microsoft is just doing a double-check of things, that's all.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Validation is just part of the process. MS does it automatically.

When a person installs Microsoft Security Essentials, it does a validation check to be sure the Windows 7 is a genuine install, that's all.

Microsoft is just doing a double-check of things, that's all.
Then why must it phone home every 90 days? What could possibly change with your activation every 3 months. The more I think about it, the more I dislike it it. And just because we can opt out now, doesn't mean they won't shove it down our throat's in the future via a service pack or something else. My copy is legit and MS knows it already. That should be the end of it. 90% of W7 users won't know what is happening to their computers next week and that's what MS is hoping.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think , if you read thre blog again, you will see that it is really for your own protection. It is not merely checking if your copy is legit, it is, quote,

"Once installed, the Update protects customers by identifying known activation exploits that may affect their PC experience. If any activation exploits are found, Windows will alert the customer and offer options for resolving the issue – in many cases,"

I regard it as a free security service. If you have doubts about its activities then, in answer also to Cattileys question, Sorry but to quote again:

"I’d like to stress that the Update is voluntary, which means that you can choose not to install it when you see it appear on Windows Update. I also want to stress that installing this update will not jeopardize your privacy; although the update contacts Microsoft’s servers to check for new threats as I outline below, the information we receive from PCs during these checks does not include any personally identifiable information or any other information that Microsoft can use to identify or contact you. This update follows the same stringent and secure set of privacy principles and policies as other downloads. The update can also be uninstalled at any time."

I do not see it as any interest for users running pirated copies, neither is it intended for their assistance.
Do you see legit users as being troubled, when the update is offered?

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
What is curious about this is that the process is voluntary, and you can remove the update if you wish. That's what Mr. Williams said in his report. If they are so serious about this issue, why announce to the world it's voluntary? Every pirate that has the least bit of intelligence will refuse the update, if they have read this report.
Because the update is not to simply stop or deter people from using illegal copies of Windows. The main target (in my opinion) is to target counterfieters that sell PC's will illegal copies of Windows 7 installed.

When the buyer updates their PC and installs the update, it will check and help insure they are using a legitimate copy that they paid for. If it isn't legitimate then they can expose the people or organization that was bundling illegal copies and pocketing the money paid for the OS. ;)

If for whatever reason it bothers legitimate Windows users, they can elect to not install the update and not worry about it again.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If indeed, your copy of Windows is genuine, and should the results of the update have adverse effects on your computer, you will be given the opportunity to contact Microsoft (or your OEM, if necessary), to straighten things out. There are already consumer advocates on the net warning users not to accept the update, proclaiming spyware. This happened in 2006, too. They are simply looking harder for cracked versions of their product, which they should have the right to do. It's their intellectual property, which costs them a lot of money in research and development. They have the right to be paid for their product. Wouldn't you feel the same, if it was your property in question?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
ATM I have 7 copy's of Windows 7 five are in use on our Computers and two are to be installed on Computers (to be built this coming week) I purchase from one reputable source and all are genuine Microsoft products that will pass all validation. I have no worries for myself or my customers :)

Reaction score
WOW, I have thanked three people in a row for well stated post. I think that is a first for me, I do hope its not the last. :D

Reaction score
that activation process is already flopped as they stopped offering this update. No one can beat pirates. they are always two steps ahead of MS. Infact, MS says that it wants to stop piracy but actually it doesn't. Thats why they leave trial version extension for more than 90 days with simple registry tweak

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The update was offered to me last night when I installed Windows 7 within a VM. I allowed it to go through to double check everything, when it was finished, I removed it. I have no problem allowing it through once "just to make sure everything's right", but afterwards, I get rid of it. But the activation process is not flopped, if the COA is active on another computer, it will fail, you'll be "nagged" to make things right until either you do, or reformat and install another OS. And if that OS is XP or above, you'll still have to validate, or have "nag" screens.

Ask a Question