Windows 7 Validation

Reaction score
More MS "omg cracking windows will give u teh virooses" chicanery.

Will the disingenuous hyperbole ever end? Yawn.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
ok, here is my dilema!

Couple of weeks ago, I purchased a used laptop for my kid with win7 home premium installed. Noe I get this message at the bottom of the screen that my Windows is not genuine...WTF !!!

Any ideas what to do? If I ever bump into that SOB who sold it to me, I am going to break his knee caps.

I am really mad now !!!!! :(

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Get in touch with MS and see if they have any suggestions for you.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
That is going to be my course of action. I will first call MS as Yodap suggested and maybe they have other suggestions.
Yes, though, don't expect much from MS. They're probably going to tell you you should have checked and some other stuff. I mean, what can they do? Giveaway a license key for free? Don't think so.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Actually MS's suggestion will be to take it back to the seller. They will also offer to sell you a legal copy, sometimes even at a reduced rate, but it is still higher than you can buy it on Amazon or eBay.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I will most probably go with the OEM version. By the way, what does OEM stands for?

Edit: OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are up to a fresh install I would pay the roughly $20 extra and buy PRO but if you buy Home Prem you can simply replace the key with no reinstall.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I will most probably go with the OEM version. By the way, what does OEM stands for?
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Say there's a computer shop down the street called: Nibiru's Warp Drive Computers.

I would be the OEM since I custom-build the systems for the end-user and therefore product support is supplied by me, not MS.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OEM basically means it is to be used for a specific manufacturers hardware and THEY (example DELL) must provide the support, MS does not offer support to OEM versions.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
The least expensive Home Premium key for sale I've seen at eBay is $50, which isn't bad, but one can get the boxed OEM version with disc (32 bit or 64 bit, not both), for about $99.99 at Newegg.
So if I buy the boxed OEM version 64bit, I can use it to replace the key without reinstall?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. Plus you'll have the disc in case you ever need to reinstall it.

You'll just enter the new key in the: Computer / Properties window at the bottom where it says: Change Product Key under the Windows Activation section of the window.

Ask a Question