Windows 7 upgrades "crippling" PCs

Reaction score
Microsoft is struggling to find answers for people whose attempt to upgrade to Windows 7 has sent their machine into an endless reboot cycle.
Reports of the problem first began appearing on Microsoft's support forum on Friday, the day after the operating system was first released. According to the complaints, Windows 7 claims the upgrade has failed and that Vista will be restored.
However, when the machine reboots it offers the same error and reboots again in an endless circle. Despite numerous reports of the problem, it seems Microsoft is still no closer to an answer and tempers are becoming frayed.
More information and full article can be found here - http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/352846/windows-7-upgrades-crippling-pcs

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for posting that Cookieman. That mirrors one of the reports that we've had on this site too.

Reaction score
yes i ordered the upgrade 64 bit worked for about a week always rebooting the would not work at all then pc went into safe mode.had to give the pc to a microsoft tech took him a couple days get pc working again. microsoft should refund my money for the upgrade cause cost me money to fix there mistake!!!!!!!! my next puter will be apple im tired of this b.s first was vista now its windows 7 get it right

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
For those in real trouble, don't overlook the EULA:
Extract:

D.REMEDY
FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY. Microsoft will repair or replace the software at no charge. If Microsoft cannot repair or replace it, Microsoft will refund the amount shown on your receipt for the software. It will also repair or replace supplements, updates and replacement software at no charge. If Microsoft cannot repair or replace them, it will refund the amount you paid for them, if any. You must uninstall the software and return any media and other associated materials to Microsoft with proof of purchase to obtain a refund.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Just do a clean install instead of an upgrade. You'll have no issue then! M$ does offer a patch to get around the problems.

Or just go here: https://www.w7forums.com/clean-install-windows-7-upgrade-media-t2225.html

This tutorial from Paul Thurrott will explain how to do a clean install with an upgrade disk. Option #1 work for some people, if not, Option #2 has worked for everyone else.

Reaction score
My life has been a nightmare since I replaced my Vista with an online "Windows 7" download from the MS Store. The problem seems to be with the Power Options but I can't figure it out. As long as I never allow my machine to go into "Sleep Mode" I seem to be OK but long wait to restart is very frustrating. I'm extremely disappointed.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I totally agree with Nibiru2012 on this. The large majority of Windows 7 users that are having problems are those who are doing these download upgrades and expecting their computer to be just like a brand new one. It just doesn't work that way. Too much garbage is left behind. There's no way that this kind of upgrade will properly format your system in order to get rid of the excess baggage that's been on it for a while. A full format and a clean install with discs is necessary to produce the desired results. True, that's a lot of work, but in the end, you'll be glad you did.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
A high percentage of upgrades cause problems a clean install is the best way to go, its worth the time and effort to get it right, then you will have a very nice well behaved Operating System.

Reaction score
A high percentage of upgrades cause problems a clean install is the best way to go, its worth the time and effort to get it right, then you will have a very nice well behaved Operating System.
+1 agreed.

This is really the rule of thumb that can be followed:

If the system is perfect or very much close to perfect before, upgrade will be well. If there are any lingering problems beforehand, clean install.

During beta testing, I've done at least 50 upgrades on 2 machines without the slightest glitch. But that's because my systems were perfect each time to begin with.

Ask a Question