SOLVED Windows 7 Ultimate

Reaction score
This is my first post and I hope someone can help me. I was using Windows 7 Ultimate and it wasn't until I tried to update to Windows 10 Pro and it failed. I did some digging and found out I didn't have a genuine product. Took it to PC World and they said the Windows 7 Ultimate was a hacked version and if I wanted it to be genuine I had to do a clean and then install Windows 7 Ultimate with a product. I bought a Product Key online for $39.99. They sent me via e-mail the product key as well as the Windows 7 Ultimate to download. I did this and when I went to enter Product Key it said it had expired. (Come to find out I had to use the key within 24 hour, but I bought it on Friday and had to wait until Monday. I then called the activation number online and went through their process. My Windows 7 is now activated and genuine. All is well.

Then I did the windows updates. I had 193 important ones and 34 optional ones and is 32 bit. I installed them 10 at a time and all have been installed. I no longer have any updates to do yet when I go to shut down the windows update icon is on the start button and it has been there for 3 days now. Is there a way to delete or get rid of the WU icon?? Someone said, give it some time and it will eventually go away. Is this true?

I am using a Panasonic 20 all-in-one computer with Windows 7 Ultimate Genuine. All updates have been done. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanking you in advance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you clicked on the icon? Have you done a complete shut down and reboot?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. If I click on the icon it just shuts down. Yes I have done restarts and full shut downs numerous times. And when I turn on the computer, for about 30 seconds it isn't there but then the icon is back and still no updates to do. I am still at a stand still.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Best guess, it is something in the registry. I suggest you run the Microsoft Fix-it tool for Windows Updates and see if that helps.

When you went genuine did you reinstall or simply update the product key? If you updated the product key then did you actually activate? Go to Control Panel > System and, where it shows the version, make sure it says activated.

Reaction score
Okay. I reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate with the new product key. Yes it was activated via Microsoft Phone. When I go to right click C/Properties/it shows the product is genuine and it shows the product key. But on to the good news. Yesterday I had 19 critical updates and they have been installed. I rebooted and the WU icon is no longer on the start menu and it has been over 3 hours now. It just did it on it's own and now this thread can be closed. I want to thank everyone who helped me

Ask a Question