Windows 7 Ultimate PC

Reaction score
Ok, I bought a computer and it had Windows & Ultimate pre installed, I don't have the original disks. It has been freezing up on me multiple times per sitting. I tried multiple avenues of repair, until reading that this very issue is common to W7 Ultimate. I want to change to Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional because I haven't heard of this happening to these versions. Do I have to register the version I have? Can I purchase the the other program as the upgrade? or do I have to purchase the entire package? or do I purchase a license? I am very confused right now. :(

Reaction score
Changing Windows version will not help the issue. Freezing is an issue with all versions. I'm dealing with it myself on Windows 7 Professional.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't see this as unique to "Windows 7" - there are too many causes of system freezing to at this point, put the blame on anything - and actually most freezes are due to hardware problems, hardware drivers, PSU problems, RAM problems, heat problems, or even malware - not the OS.

Do you have any errors in Device Manager?

How old is this computer? Is it still under warranty? Is the interior free of heat trapping dust? Do you know your temps? Are your fans all spinning?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Legally, you could buy an upgrade version of H.P. or Pro and you would be in compliance with licensing if you own Ultimate.

But I have to agree with the others that I do not believe a particular version of W7 is more prone to freezing than the others.

Things to check are:
1. hardware issues like having the wrong memory or mismatched memory or memory timings. And no overclocking of the CPU or GPU.
2. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your computer.
3. Scan for viruses in safe mode to see if you are infected.
4. Try actually uninstalling your anti-virus and see if it is causing the slowdown.
5. Make sure you have the latest windows updates installed
6. use MSCONFIG to disable some start-up programs which are also trying to run in memory and see if it still freezes

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have to agree with the others here so as your freezing issues and Windows 7.

It's not the OS itself in as much as Digerati stated. It's more than likely having to do with hardware and/or driver issues.

Time and time again, the first culprit is usually drivers, i.e. incorrectly installed or not in the proper sequence.

The second culprit, a lot of the time, is insufficient RAM or improperly configured RAM such as wrong BUS speed, timings and CAS levels.

It may also be due to poor CPU cooling due to improper application of thermal interface material (heatsink grease), CPU heatsink not seated correct and so on.

Do some investigating and eliminate the other potential cause prior to casting aspersions on the OS itself.

It would help considerably if you would give the computer maker, the model and other info such as CPU, motherboard chipset, hard drives, etc.

Ask a Question