SOLVED Windows 7 Starter

Reaction score
I have recently converted my main laptop to Windows 7, and like it a lot. I also have an Acer Aspire One which runs Windows XP, and I would like to change its OS to Windows 7 too. However, I am finding it impossible to achieve this! I can buy on ebay a W7 restore/ install disc for the netbook, but without a licence. I asked Microsoft about buying a licence but that is impossible, and Microsoft do not sell Win 7 starter packs. Acer have not even bothered to reply to my query. Does anyone have any solutions to this? I wondered about buying a broken Aspire One which had been using Win 7, just to get its product code - then using the repair/install disc to load Win7 - would that work?
Do I have to stick with XP?
Richard

MLJ

Reaction score
Richard,

You are correct. Microsoft only allows Windows 7 Starter to be pre-installed on netbooks. You generally won't have success with using a product code from another computer and it will be a violation of licensing anyway as OEM licenses are not transferable to another computer.

You can install any version of Windows 7 on your Acer Aspire One netbook from Home Premium to Ultimate. Naturally you will need to purchase a valid license for the version you choose. I recommend that you also upgrade the memory to 2GB if your model supports it.

Malcolm

http://www.windows7inthenews.com

Reaction score
Malcolm,
Many thanks! Having just forked out for a copy of W7 for my main computer, I have no intention of buying another for my netbook - so Microsoft will miss out and I'll go to a Ubuntu type solution for the netbook!
Richard

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to point out that you can't take the license from an other machine and use it on yours, as MLJ allready stated. When you install Windows, the license is linked to the computer's motherboard, so you can reinstall with that license, but it will only be valid on that computer.

Reaction score
MLJ and Firecat,
Many thanks for your comments - much appreciated!
Richard

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
rich1938, welcome to the forum! What you can do is visit Newegg's site, there are OEM (not full, retail version) of both 7 Home Premium & Pro for as little as $100. Mabye less.

The difference is that once activated, you cannot reinstall it onto another computer, but you can reinstall it on the one that it was activated on. For this reason, uncheck "Activate, once online" (or similar wording). You'll be notified when to activate (within 30 days of the install). This way, you can make sure that everything works, w/o risking the loss of the OS if there's issues that can't be resolved.

Prior to the install, lookup your computer's (OEM) site, and download as many Windows 7 (or Vista, if there's no Win 7 ones), save them to a CD or flash drive, and after the install, you'll have them ready. If you can't find all of them, open your "Device Manager", click onto each item, and write down the name of the component. Then use Bing or Google to research those components, and find the latest driver you can. Usually the ones that's for your brand of computer would be best, even if it's a different model.

Best of Luck,
Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat, rich is on the other side of the "pond" with Ian etc, so Newegg probably wouldn't be practical.

Reaction score
Cat, rich is on the other side of the "pond" with Ian etc, so Newegg probably wouldn't be practical.
Correct, I tried Newegg but they wont sell to us lot over 'ere. Their loss, lots of others who will.

Ask a Question