Windows 7 SP1 sent to OEMs

Reaction score
Windows 7 service pack sent to OEMs
The first service pack for Windows 7 has been sent to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), according to a post on TechNet by Microsoft's Russian Windows Visualization team.

Microsoft launched the first release candidate for Windows 7 SP1, and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 in late October of last year, saying that it would be the only RC prior to the software being finalized and made available to manufacturers. The company also promised that SP1 would arrive in the hands of users in the "first half" of 2011.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) has been pre-released to OEM

Following is some news info from several Windows 7 websites:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), or KB976932, has been pre-released to OEM manufacturers and we are pleased to provide site visitors with the final version. We can confirm, with accuracy, that this is the final, official, digitally signed version of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 which has been scheduled for imminent release to manufacturers (RTM), but has not yet appeared on Windows Update. This download also includes Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1.

The 32-bit and 64-bit versions are compatible with all languages. The 64-bit version also includes the Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 RTM.
The final RTM version of Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (Service Pack 1) has been leaked to the Internet, even before it’s officially released to the OEM manufacturing partners, which rumored to be from January 18th, who always get the code bits earlier to start integration process. The SP1 is for both Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, and has the build version string number of 6.1.7601.17514.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850.

From the build string of 7601.17514.101119-1850, it indicates that the Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 SP1 RTM build was compiled and singed on November 19, 2010.
The leaks are available on several websites and forums. Google it and you'll find it.

There are rumors going around that MS will release the RTM or GOLD version to the Windows 7 Update website this next Tuesday, 1-18-2011. That remains to be seen however.

Last edited by a moderator:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I told you all a few days ago (Update Tuesday), that one particular update (KB976902) was the setup for this. I believe that TM thought it had to do with anti-piracy issues, but that update that allows you to install future updates was the dead giveaway.

We that installed the beta and RC versions of SP1 had to install this same update. Unless you have an earlier system image, it cannot be removed.

Having tested the beta and RC of Win7 SP1, as long as you're legit, you'll have no problems at all.

Cat

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think the only problem downloaders/installers might have is total boredom in trying to see what the SP has actually done. There is little innovative and, as we have frequently been advised, it is mostly an update string.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm installing the service pack now, I'll use my notebook for a bit. I've already been through the install of the beta and RC three times, so I knew what to expect. A long waiting period. At least I have that experience to know what's going on. It's a good thing that I uninstalled the RC as soon as that update was released last Tuesday, I felt that the showdown was near. Oh well, for many of those who bought keys online from unauthorized sources, such as eBay, and are uninformed, should they install this, it's over. Probably like with XP, they'll probably have a black screen, once it's done.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well, it's over with. SP1 is installed, and it installed the same as the RC did. Normally, when you update, it goes to 30% and restarts, but it hung at 15% for a few minutes, then went it's normal way. I'm glad it's over.

As has been posted in many articles, and on this forum, there is no noticeable change at all. A little different from XP.

I just wonder, how this will install through Automatic Updates. You would most certainly have to postpone it to a time of your schedule, as it takes a while.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Good point, Cat. Tip to users. switch off your automatic updates in advance of the SP1 release. It could tie you down a while!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Microsoft have acted quickly. Most of the forum links to downloads have been closed. One or two sites with the download links have actually (temporarily I hope) closed down.

Reaction score
Thanks Clifford. Just installed SP1 x64. 2 hour download and 10 minutes to install.

Reaction score
Does anybody know how many of these updates listed weren't given to us from Automatic Updates ? Also, does anyone know the Adminstrative Command Prompt command for removing the unneccessary leftover files after installing Windows 7 SP1 ?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'd say that CCleaner will probably clean up the temporary leftover files from the SP1 install. But it may be at least 24 hours before you can delete them. Normally, CCleaner is good for this.

Also, Revo Uninstaller has a "Junk Files Cleaner" within the Windows Tools section of the app, it may find and delete them.

Either of these options are good ones, give it a couple of days and run CCleaner. There is the option to uncheck the 24 hour wait period, if you're in a hurry.

EDIT: I checked, with CCleaner & Revo Uninstaller Pro, and there were no files related to the SP to remove. My past experience with installing SP's is that at the end, they do a good job of cleaning behind themselves. Whenever I installed a SP in XP, that was the case.

Cat

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
For those following this thread, you might want to see what you are getting with SP1

View attachment 2376
WOW! That's 40 pages in Word doc format! I just took my contact lenses out so I'll have to wait till my eyes adjust and put on the good ol' bifocals! LOL!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Does anybody know how many of these updates listed weren't given to us from Automatic Updates ? Also, does anyone know the Adminstrative Command Prompt command for removing the unneccessary leftover files after installing Windows 7 SP1 ?
As best as I can tell and count, Automatic Updates have about 78-80 updates including the "Recommended" updates. This count is from my list on my system.

So download the "SP1.rar" file that davehc attached, decompress it, open it up in Word and get out your abacus... it's a long list believe me!

So far as removing unnecessary files, my PerfectDisk program has a "Space Management" section to eliminate temp files, folders, etc.

I use a 64 GB partition for my OS and software and with a full install of MS Office 2010 and several other programs, about 30 or so, I still have over 45 GB of space free.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I installed the x86 version on 7 Home Basic, same as with the x64 one, no problems at all. If anything, the 32 bit version installed faster than the two 64 bit versions did.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I installed the x86 version on 7 Home Basic, same as with the x64 one, no problems at all. If anything, the 32 bit version installed faster than the two 64 bit versions did.

Cat
That's understandable since the x64 versions are bigger files. My install of the x64 SP1 took about 25 minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: Now I'm noticing my system is a little snappier and browsing is quicker too. Programs open up quicker too.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Quote: "EDIT: I checked, with CCleaner & Revo Uninstaller Pro, and there were no files related to the SP to remove. My past experience with installing SP's is that at the end, they do a good job of cleaning behind themselves. Whenever I installed a SP in XP, that was the case."

Must be horses for courses again. I keep up to date, so theoretically there were no new updates to install. On the slow laptop I am using now (4gbs 2.1CPU) the installation took 1½ hours. At the end, the update history showed no additions, but, of course, the SP1 had been installed.
I ran disk cleanup, which found a huge number of files deposited by the SP1 installation. Unfortunately, I did not note the amount. But disk cleaner took about 5 minutes to remove them!

By the way. I am not sure how "updates" are being interpreted by SP1, but if you look at the list referred to by Nibs, you can see there are a lot of hotfixes etc, which may be in addition to your normal periodic updated.

I have, in fact, noticed one thing on MY computer. It may be relevant to the way I set up the OS after installation. Before, when I got to the desktop, there was a few seconds delay before the internet icon cleared. If I attempted a connection before this, at worst it meant a reset of my ISP modem. Obviously whilst it was trying to find the IP addresses. I tried dozens of fixes, even some after correspondence with MS. (Delayed starts: elimination of delayed starts: playing with the IP settings in the router) Nothing worked and, until now, I learned to live with it.
Since SP1, when I now get to the desktop, the internet icon is fully operational. - Not so on the other "non SP1" machines. So someone out there in Microsoft had ackowledged a small hiccup in that area.

Reaction score
Before, when I got to the desktop, there was a few seconds delay before the internet icon cleared.
I've noticed this too, I didn't let it bother me too much. I was patient with it because it only took a few seconds, ten seconds at the most to connect. Thats nice, now that they have a fix for the delay.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
davehc, I had that same problem, and the beta (not RC) SP1 fixed that. I was always troubleshooting my internet to get connected, the beta fixed it. So I knew that there was some benefit in it.

And since the real SP1 is installed, I've noticed (as Nibs did too) that my computer is a little faster, and the icons are loading faster, too. Watching that little neon circle, waiting for everything to load was for the birds.

Cat

Ask a Question