Windows 7 SP1 sent to OEMs

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Cliff - from what I read the other day on another website, the supposed SP1 RTM release to the OEM makers was just a leaked build from the Russian website WZOR.

MS stated that it was NOT the official RTM release and nearly all links to the downloads have been pulled, except some torrent sites.

MS did reiterate though that the release WILL be in Q1 of this year, so apparently no later than March 31st.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Does this mean that for those of us who have already installed SP1, there's going to be problems? My desktop runs better with it installed, there's no spyware planted on it, it it were, ESET or one of the other AV/Malware/Spyware scanners would've caught it.

I hope that I don't have to go through this all over again. I'm just getting my desktop the way I want it.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Hopefully it WILL be the same, but with MS ya never know.

I have it installed too. Only time will tell though.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I suppose that if it's not the real deal, we'll get a prompt to uninstall the SP when it's released through MS Update. All that I know is that Win 7 loads up faster, the icons loads faster, and I'm not waiting as long watching that blue neon circle spinning.

Plus, my network loads faster, too.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
If you think you're fast now, wait till you use it with an SSD!

Zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I do intend to buy a SSD, but it'll probably be when I buy another notebook computer. I just don't see the point in spending anymore unnecessary money on this desktop. What I'll probably do, depending on it's configuration, is first to upgrade the RAM to it's max, then go with the update to Pro (for XP Mode). Then the SSD.

The reason that I want as much RAM as possible is because I run VM's a lot, and the more RAM that you have to lend, the better. Especially if it's a 64 bit guest in question. 6GB would be adequate, 8 would be even better. VM's consumes a lot of RAM, for good performance, you need as much as possible to spare.

Hopefully, the SP will help with hardware performance, too.

Cat

Reaction score
Cat. I had to uninstall it on my Windows 7 Professional x64 pc. It wouldn't list or download .NET Framework 4.0 Client and other various updates for Windows 7. It basically only listed updates for Security Essentials and Office 2007 on mine. I got 9 Windows Updates yesterday- None for Office 2007 H & S.
I do intend to buy a SSD, but it'll probably be when I buy another notebook computer. I just don't see the point in spending anymore unnecessary money on this desktop. What I'll probably do, depending on it's configuration, is first to upgrade the RAM to it's max, then go with the update to Pro (for XP Mode). Then the SSD.

The reason that I want as much RAM as possible is because I run VM's a lot, and the more RAM that you have to lend, the better. Especially if it's a 64 bit guest in question. 6GB would be adequate, 8 would be even better. VM's consumes a lot of RAM, for good performance, you need as much as possible to spare.

Hopefully, the SP will help with hardware performance, too.

Cat

Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Cat. I had to uninstall it on my Windows 7 Professional x64 pc. It wouldn't list or download .NET Framework 4.0 Client and other various updates for Windows 7. It basically only listed updates for Security Essentials and Office 2007 on mine. I got 9 Windows Updates yesterday- None for Office 2007 H & S.
That's because all those updates are part of the SP1. That's why the "updates" don't show up on the Windows Update website.

.NET Framework 4.0 is an optional download from the MS .NET website. It's not considered an "update" in the Windows 7 update scenario. .NET 3.5 is the default for Windows 7 and is installed as part of the initial install process.

I have SP1 installed and I had 7 updates yesterday. Six security updates included one for IE8 and the other update was for Office 2010.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go here for the latest news on Windows 7 SP1: https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-sp1-rtm-due-feb-16-msdn-customers-t9974.html

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That SP covers a lot of individual updates, just as it did in previous versions of Windows. It saves you time, not having to download & install all of them.

And I also received several updates Tuesday myself, like Nibs, most were IE related.

At first, I wasn't for this SP, but now that I have it, I'm glad that I did. My overall computer performance (with Win 7) has improved noticeably.

Cat

Reaction score
Here are the instructions for cleaning up SP1 after it is installed
Please note once these instructions are followed you will no longer be able to uninstall SP1
How to cleanup old hot fix information after installing SP1 (cleanup tool)
Once Service Pack 1 is installed you may opt to remove old information regarding old hot fixes and the SP1 un-installation tool as well. Note that if you perform this step you can NEVER remove SP1! It may behoove you to keep a full image pre SP1 backup of your system if you ever want to go back

On most systems you should expect between 500MB and 1.5GB of space recovered by running this program. To run you must launch a command prompt with Administrator privileges, then execute the following command:

[FONT=&quot]dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded[/FONT]

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm currently installing a copy of Win 7 Home Basic (32 bit) in a VM. During the update process, if I were only to select the update that's required to install future updates only (KB976902), then install the SP, which I have on a flash drive, would that basically take care of my updating?

It has been reported that the SP mainly contains previously offered updates, so I'm hopeful that it will work out. Being that it's a VM, and not a main install, it would be interesting to see if it really works out that way.

Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It worked! When I installed the VM, I checked for updates, the only one that I selected was KB976902. Then I installed the SP, that I saved to CD. The only updates that were required afterwards were the normal updates that we received this month.

Keep in mind, this is a VM, and there was no hardware updates to install. But it did work, as my screen looks good, and it fired up faster than before (the first time). This may keep you from applying redundant updates.

Cat

Ask a Question