windows 7 sound problem.

Reaction score
I have a problem with my audio in Windows 7 64bit. I just switched from XP to Windows 7, I installed the latest driver for my ALC883 on board audio card (P5K). Now when I play a song on my 4.0 boxes I have weird sound coming from the rear speakers, like you can only hear the beats and no voice.

If I play this same song (also with windows media player) on xp this went perfect, you can hear the (full)song as well in the front or at the back speakers...

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to fix this?
(speaker fill settings is also turned on, otherwise I don't get sound from the rear speakers)
thx, Fre

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
You may have to play around with your settings a bit to get it right as i did, > control panel > sound > config (and as i use a plug-in sound card that had to be set up as well), Note Windows 7 default was %60 on the volume.

Reaction score
that doesn't change anything even if I use Quadraphonic or take the 5.1/7.1 and turn off all the speakers that I don't use the same anoying sound is coming out of it...
I'll try to record it...
(I don't know this could be the problem but I installed the HD audio device - driver and nothing else I see now on the site of Realtek that there is a Realtek AC'97 audio setup 6.0.1.6305, they call it an audio codec I tried to install this but he gives me an error should this mybe be the problem?)

the audio codec installation:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6203/boxdr.png

the error:
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1995/boxerror.png

Reaction score
I uninstalled all the previous drivers and the softwear, then I installed the 6305 with the link you gave me. Still it gives a weird sound.
So I don't install the R2.36 (High Definition Audio Codec)?

I took a screenshot what I got now:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3610/driverversion.png
(the date of the driver is pretty weird...)

and the logo of realtek is gone on the bottom right of my screen (just to let you know)
thx
Fré

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Yes do install the R2.36 codec, just a thought have you tried this speaker system on another PC just to see if you dont get the odd sound ?

Reaction score
I installed them both still no diffrence. And yes I changed my speakers with my ipod's earphones, its the same result -> in the front jack, the song that i want to hear and the rear jack the messy beats with some times some lyrics.

(I tried also with a Linux live cd to test my sound... it worked perfectly, that makes it a real softwear/ windows 7 problem...)

maybe it's this: I still need to check the speaker fill box at the settings otherwise I have no sound at the back...

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
dr_serious wrote
I still need to check the speaker fill box at the settings otherwise I have no sound at the back
I think that would be a good idea and lets hope you get your full sound :)

Just a note: Considering Windows 7 final build 7600 was released to the public three weeks ago today i believe Microsoft are working 24/7 to make Windows 7 there best platform yet, i received an update this morning at 5:30am UK time, I am sure many will remember teething problems with XP !, so just something to keep in mind (Windows 7 is a very young / new OS but will become a great OS).

Ask a Question