SOLVED Windows Startup Sound?

Reaction score
How can I change the Windows Startup Sound to a different wav sound? There is no "Windows Startup" in the sound>program events list. There is Windows Log On and Windows Log Off. Also, there is a "check" in the box for Play Windows Startup Sound.
Thanks, Jenny

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is called "Windows Logon" in sounds

Note there is also a "Windows Logoff" which is played if you simply logoff the userid rather than shutdown.

Reaction score
Thank you, TrainableMan.
I did try the "Windows Logon", but the wav I chose will not take effect. I will try some other choices to see if something else will. Oh, it just dawned on me that maybe the reason, it won't take effect is because I also have a desktop theme chosen. Is there a way to override the theme's sounds for just the "Windows Logon".....probably not. :(

Jenny

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When I have a theme selected I can still change the sound, for example when I have a sound theme called "Savannah" and I change windows login then I see "Savannah (modified)" and when I close out because some part of the theme changed I now have a new "unsaved" theme and it becomes my active theme. Then I right-click on it and save it with a name (it can even be the same name as the old theme) and then I can delete the old theme.

So if you change the sound but then back out and select your old theme again is the only way your sound should return to the default theme sound. Instead when you back out save the new theme (and delete the old one if you want).

NOTE: there are group policy settings which can be set to prevent users from changing the themes, sounds, etc normally used in a workplace environment but unless you messed with your group policy settings on your own this shouldn't be your issue.

Reaction score
Thank you,
I believe your answer has cleared this up for me. Appreciate your help! :)
Jenny

Reaction score
Hi, I have talked to TrainableMan about this and thought the issue was solved, but have discovered there must be a problem with my "windows logon" sound and may need a "fix" if there is one.

No matter what sound I choose and apply or even save as a "modified", as TrainableMan suggested, the same original wav sound always plays at startup.

I've even reset all sounds to a Windows Default choice. but the wav that still plays is not even the same as the default "windows logon" wav in the sound event list.

I can hear that it is a recognizable "Windows" sound and I've searched through all the default sounds for every event and that wav is not there nor is it any of the theme choices such as Savanna for the "windows logon" sound event.

Any suggestions???
Thanks to anyone,
Jenny

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I merged this into the original thread and simply changed it back to "not solved".

Do you run any special software that might control sounds effects, themes etc?

Could you open the Personalization screen, click sounds and select windows Logon, then make sure the windows are positioned so you can see both and take a screenshot and post it here?

Example:
Themes-Sounds.jpg

When you log off and then log back in, does your theme stay or does it change to something else?

Reaction score
Sorry, I know how to do a print screen and place it in Word Pad. Not sure how to place it here in the message.

Further, after logging off & on the same theme and sound effect is still there. It's just that the logon sound is really not playing what it says it should play.
Jenny

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You have to save it as a picture format, example jpg (don't put it in wordpad).

Then to attach it here use "go advanced" & click the paperclip.
How2PostAnImage.jpg

Further, after logging off & on the same theme and sound effect is still there. It's just that the logon sound is really not playing what it says it should play.
Jenny
That part is good, means it probably is not a corrupted registry.

Reaction score
Sorry, again.
I don't know how to save it as a jpg. If I have it displayed on my desktop, what is the next step to save it as a jpg?

Thanks, Jenny

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I use a picture editing software but if you don't have that then ...

I guess the easiest is to open mspaint.exe, paste it from the clipboard, and then save it as a .PNG file (different format than .JPG but the forums allow that type as well).

Reaction score
I have IrfanView. It took me a while to figure out how to get the screen shot into it. At least I learned something new!

To attach the image in this message...I don't see "go advanced", but I see the paperclip. Can't figure out how to insert the image in this message after clicking on the paperclip & uploading the image.

Jenny

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just a side note, if you see the paperclip then you are already in the forums "advanced" window. I use quick reply so I am not in the advanced window initially.

OK so if you hit that test button the "Windows Logon" sound you hear is not the sound you actually hear after you login to your userid?

Reaction score
Yes, but the test button sound is not the same as what actually plays when windows starts up. I am the only user on my pc and I don't actually have to "log on". I just press the start button and a screen comes up with "starting windows", I hear the sound which is not the one I chose, and my desktop displays.

I just don't understand where the "sound" that windows is using is located. One would think the wav sound would have to be somewhere in "sounds" screen. Darn if I can find it. Wish I could play here for you. :)

Thanks for all the time you are spending on this problem, TrainableMan.
Jenny

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you open the registry (type regedit.exe into the start...searchbox)
Navigate to:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\WindowsLogon\.Current
That should show you what windows is set up to play at windows logon ... but that should be the same file that is "windows logon" in the sounds list from your attachment. By any chance is it different?

Reaction score
Some other sources are telling me that the Windows start up sound cannot be changed unless I want to download an application that changes the dll file which is not advisable.

Also, the Windows start up is not the same as the Windows Login. It's sound can be changed, but it takes effect only if you actually log in with a password and the Windows Logout sound will probably be the same as the Exit Windows sound according to your choice of the sound for those events or sound event theme like Sonata.

So, I'm being told that if I want a Start Windows sound, I must check the box in Sounds to play it, but it will always be the same. I cannot change it.

So, I would appreciate your thoughts on what I have been told from other sources.

Anyway, in the registry, here is what is displayed.

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you talking about the 4 chimes right after the swirling colors that become a window? "Da-dant Ta-Daa"?

I don't set up computers to logon automatically so I didn't realize but I did just test it for you and they are correct, if I am set to login automatically then I ONLY get that windows "tada" sound; I do not get my "Windows Logon" assigned wave. And I believe they are probably correct you cannot change it if you logon automatically. I learned something new; sorry if I confused you or lead you astray.

With my usual setup I hear that "tada" just before I see the welcome logon screen and then after I login to my account on that screen I hear my chosen "windows logon" wave.

Would you like to try it where you select your account to login, rather than have it login automatically? If so type netplwiz into the Start-Search box and run it from the selection list. Check the box Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer and apply. Now restart your computer.

I think you will have to choose between automatic login but no personalized "windows logon" sound _or_ manual login with modifiable "windows logon" sound.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, you described the Windows Start up sound I get correctly.

And since I am the only user in my home, mine is set up to start automatically without having to login. This is the way I would prefer to use it. Honestly, I guess I can live with being unable to change the sound for" Windows Start Up" in order to be able to start up automatically. Sadly, I have many "Welcome" wav sounds of my own that I will no longer be able to use for that purpose.

I wonder why MS changed that option in Win 7. Wasn't so in XP! Now, I know why there was no "Start Windows" in the sound events list...only just Login. And a box to check if you want to play windows start up sound.Yet, MS still gives me the option to "Exit Windows" with a sound of my choice. Very strange.

So much appreciate the time you have spent in helping me to solve this problem, TrainableMan. You have been very helpful and I learned some new things.

Jenny

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you really really can't live with it, you can do what the others mentioned about editing the system file imageres.dll.

See HERE or HERE.

It requires a resource editing tool XN resource Editor. You also probably need to grant yourself permissions to access c/windows/system32, because by default, even though it is your computer, the OS folder is owned by windows 7, not by you (which is normally a good thing because it helps protect you from screwing up the OS). Back up the original imageres.dll and then it sounds like you would have to replace the original while in safe mode.

Besides the complexity of doing this type thing, the problem with tweaking system files is that if Microsoft ever releases an update that effects this file, then you must reapply your changes to their latest distribution. From the sounds of it, updates to this file would be rare but it is something to keep in the back of your mind if the old sound suddenly comes back.

Ask a Question