No sound (code 10 error) windows says I have best drivers, any help?

Reaction score
Hey first time on forum (got recommended here by a friend) I built myself a new computer about 3 months ago and the sound worked fine up until about 3 weeks ago, then one day i lost all use of my headphone 3mm ports and could only get sound through my HDMI cable via my monitors built in sound...this was annoying but not the end of the world. I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to resolve this to no avail and after changing monitors to one which is only DVI-D (doesn't transmit sound ofc) and VGA i now have no sound and it is rather a larger problem

Here is the issue; I currently have two High definition audio drivers appearing in my device manager both are the same version one is down as working fine the other displays code 10 error device cannot start.
the one that says it is working is located on;PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1.
The one that will not work is on; PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0
now when ever i try and update/change the drivers for either of them after uninstalling them, windows just claims the best drivers are installed and are up to date regardless of what I do. Also i cannot do a roll back 0.o? ALso after i uninstall and search for hardware changes windows tries to automatically install drivers (at least that what i think its doing), and i cant delete the driver file install location as even though im the only user i dont have system 32 permissions

here are my system specs quickly;
Motherboard; Asus Intel Socket 1155 P8Z68 M PRO
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68M_PRO/ - tried these drivers and the ones on the install disk and another set on a site I found.
Memory: 8GB DDR3 corsair vengeance RAM
Graphics card: Nvidia 560ti 2gb Phantom
Processor: I5 2500k 3.30Ghz @ 4.00Ghz
Power supply Unit; OCZ zs series 650W 80 plus Bronze
HDD 1: segate barracuda green 5200rpm 1.5TB
Case: antec 900
Monitor 1: AOC 21.5"
Monitor 2: Gnr 15" generic

TL;DR Asus Intel Socket 1155 P8Z68 M PRO mobo' keep getting code 10 errors, windows wont let me update or roll back also have two drivers showing up. one working one not.

Thanks in advance.

RougeR

edit- also the drivers for my mobo claim on the actual file there in that they are for vista x64 i assume this makes little difference as i couldnt find any mention of any win 7 drivers..
also not sure if its anything to do with hdmi driver my mate mentioned this 0.o

edit 02- still no replies on any forums :( ive just flashed the bios up to the latest version and it hasn't made any impact, i also made sure chipset etc was all up to date, no luck...

Last edited:
Reaction score
just done that, hasn't made any visible impact. thanks for being the only person to reply out of 5 threads on 4 forums though

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have an older model than yours, but I use drivers from here. This one seems to suit your needs.
Uninstall both of your existing drivers and run this file (if not already) manually. It seems that it should work for Windows 7, but if it fails during the installation, go back and run it in Vista compatibility mode.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SO...r-51006402-60164-for-XP-Vista-Windows-7.shtml

I would also try disabling (NOT uninstalling) one of the items in the device manager. They could be conflicting.

Last edited:

Ask a Question