Windows 7 says my computer is slow??????????

Reaction score
First of all, my PC has 8GB of ram, a 2.93 Ghz intel core 2 duo, and a great ATI card, and my computer just showed me this little balloon with a triangle saying my computer is slow!!! I was screensharing on skype with my friend, showing him something in minecraft. Could it be high computer usage? I went to Advanced Tools in Performance Information and Tools and it says under Performance issues: Performance can be improved by changing visual settings View Details. Why???? My computer is 8GB of ram???

Reaction score
Have you looked into your performance options settings?
You've got several setting choices for visual settings, I have mine set to let windows decide.
Under processor scheduling I've selected programs.
Under advanced/virtual memory and I've only got 4gig ram to play with under a 32bit O/S I've set custom size for my 'C' drive as 2938/3056.. I've never seen the message you mentioned.
Try those settings I've got and see what happens, if you don't like it you can change them back.

Reaction score
You say you were using skype when this happened? If so skype is notorious for this type of behavior.

Also check you boot advanced options to make sure you have both cores enabled and maximum memory enabled.

Reaction score
You say you were using skype when this happened? If so skype is notorious for this type of behavior.

Also check you boot advanced options to make sure you have both cores enabled and maximum memory enabled.
I do have the both cores enabled but I never knew about this maximum memory? What is that?

Reaction score
It's a paging file system that allows your O/S to roll in/roll out data temprorarily on your HDD, it puts out data currently held in memory that it's not using to allow it to dedicate more memory for actual processing. Happens constantly and very quickly, your HDD cannot be as fast as memory but a good place for the O/S to put stuff it does not need to work on in that instant.

Reaction score
Woah, nice explanation. It tells me to restart, so I'll do that now. Thanks for now.

Reaction score
Ps. I see now your query was to Bassfishers post, not mine.
The explanation I gave you is correct in the context of paging for virtual Ram.
I'm not sure myself what he meant by 'maximum memory'.
Sorry to give you incorrect info in the context of your question.

My original suggestion may still help and if it makes no difference you can change the settings back without issue.

Mike

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have experienced adware which can produce the message. If you click the link, or whatever is thrust in your face, you can sometimes be offered a free scan of your computer. In most cases, fraudulent as it may or may not be, at the end you will be taken to a site, or offered, a tool program which will sort out the so-called problems. One which I experienced did this, reported and listed various *faults.* and will offer to fix them. When you agree, you are then redirected to the page where you buy the "free" program.

*faults* In my particular case, one of the faults was lack of drivers for a floppy. I had no floppy installed. But to excuse them. Microsoft diagnostics will also advise me of this if I run it.

Reaction score
davehc, trust me. I would never download adware or anything like that. Maybe my computer IS slow.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You don't need to download it. It can pop up with the message if you are on a linked page.
My post was not pointing fimgers, just an example of one way such a message can be introduced

Reaction score
I think skype is the culprit.
this tool is using different type of networking to do its thing which maybe causing the notification.

Reaction score
how much ram do you have. whats all starting up at same time. you can go into system configuration and disable what you think thats slowing it down.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Upon reflecting on this matter, I believe it's either a malware/adware which wormed it's way in the system.

The number of malware/adware attacks via URL when visiting different websites has risen astronomically in the last 18 months. This occurs regardless of whether or not the user knowingly did it.

I suggest trying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software and see what results you get.

dax

Reaction score
Holy crap 8 GB of RAM and your computer is laggy, mine has only 1 GB, so imagine how much it lags for me XD

Reaction score
a virus or trojan may be making win7 to show this msg. install a good antivirus like avast and scan ur pc.also try scanning with antispyware.

Ask a Question