Windows 7 RC says it isn't genuine

Reaction score
I have been running the Windows 7 RV version since July, with few problems and considerable satisfaction. And I plan to purchase the final product, but not right now. the problem is that I keep getting (for the last week or so) these pop-up messages saying that "you may be a victim of software piracy" or "your computer is not running Genuine Windows". They don't seem to be interfering with anything at the moment, but (a) they are annoying and (b) I'm afraid that they may be a prelude to something more serious, and (c) I can;'t access any updates. When my machine first comes up, It says that I'm running an Evaluation copy, Build 7100. At some point later on, it adds a note under that saying that "This copy of Window is not genuine". But it is, I believe, OK until at least the first of the year. What, if anything, can I do to get the machine to chillax until January?

I'd appreciate any help here! Thanks!

JD

Reaction score
No, I have not -- this is the first I have heard about that term. Can you give me some guidance on how i go about doing that? I do have the original key that I used to install the RC.

Thanks!

JD

Reaction score
When you look at the System properties, does it show activated at the bottom of the windows?

What I did was select Change product key and reenter the key then activate again.

I also had this happen on another system but it asked if I wanted to verify if it was genuine and then when complete, no more messages.

Reaction score
What I did was select Change product key and reenter the key then activate again.
If for some reason the activation key fails to work. The last I heard Microsoft will continue to issue keys on their website. I too had to reactivate once just before Windows 7 release date.

Reaction score
It says "Status not available; Product ID: Not available" and doesn't give any links or any way to suggest how I might make a change or make the info available. It's getting very frustrating!

Thanks for the good ideas, tho! Anything else before I just head out and throw myself under the bus?

JD

Reaction score
Try these links

Validation is as easy as 1-2-3
Genuine Windows 7 Product Information

Here is something I found on another site
I also had the problem with the validation error. I did a little research and found out that the date and time if messed up will cause an error. The error code was 0x80072F8F. This might also help with your case.

What I needed to do was go to Start, Run, Then typed in timedate.cpl then went to the Internet Time tab and Clicked the little bar that says Change Settings. Then a box pops up and click Update Now then okay it. After that I went back to Start, then right clicked on Computer. Selected Properties then attempted to register it and it worked.
LINK

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It says "Status not available; Product ID: Not available" and doesn't give any links or any way to suggest how I might make a change or make the info available. It's getting very frustrating!

Thanks for the good ideas, tho! Anything else before I just head out and throw myself under the bus?

JD
Underneath those two messages, it should say something like "Enter a new Key"
Click this and enter and the OS will go out to the Microsoft checking site and confirm the key. This can take anything from almost instant to about a minute.
You will then be legal.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Maybe this is occurring since you're using the RC version (release candidate). I'm not sure. But if you planning on installing the retail version I wouldn't worry.

You can also try typing Activate in the Start Orb search bar. Then enter the key you used to install RC 7100.

Ask a Question