SOLVED Windows 7 reformat by itself & "Setup is updatig registry settings" show on startup

Reaction score
Hello, I hope somebody will help me with my problem . This how it goes;

Just a few hour ago, I try to change the my 'username', follow tutorial from a internet where they are asked to ;

"Use the command netplwiz. It will give you a dialog box that will let you change the username instead of just the display name; Enter netplwiz at the command line > Select the account and click the Properties button > Enter the new name for the account"

Then, suddenly something tell me that this tutorial will cause damage to my computer (since it to late to turning back because the tutorial already done..) I decide to make a system restore but I realized that suddenly I can't open it so do some option in my computer . When I opened the 'personalize menu'or 'system restore', it will give me a error message : -

"Error: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done"

So, since I can't open 'system restore' ( to roll my computer's state back to those of a certain point in time where it still fine & work properly..) I have to find solution to solve this problem, once again, I have tried one of the tutorials on the internet and they told me to: -

1.From the Start Menu select Run
2.Enter C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe in the box and click OK
3.Be sure that Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE) is selected
4.Check the box next to Generalize (If this is not select the SID won’t get changed)
5.Click OK and follow the prompts when the system reboots.

After do this tutorial, all of a sudden my computer change into 'windows basic' and reboot by itself. during the reboot section, after the 'Starting Windows' sentence (always located under the Windows animation logo ), appear messege saying ; " Setup is updatig registry settings". ( Please refer image below )

Untitled-1.png

When Windows show the desktop,I realized that all my items in the 'library' ( Document,Picture,Music,Video,Download & etc) & some of my software has been deleted, it would seem I have just 'reformat' my computer.

I have tried to open the system restore menu to check if there are still left any system restore point so i can revert back my computer to the point in time where it still fine & work properly but fail, the system restore empty....

So, this is my question ; -

1.What is the main cause my computer get the "Error: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done" ? Is the tutorial that i follow wrong?

2. Why my computer suddenly reformat by itself after preforming the 'sysprep.exe' solution ( please refer above) ?

3. is there a way to remove the "Setup is updating registry settings" messege? and is this message is a good or bad sign to my computer?

My computer spec;-
info.PNG

Please, I really need some help....

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sysprep is used to prepare many computers for mass installs and if your computer was reformatted that is likely how you did it. Once formatted everything on that partition is essentially gone unless you use some disk recovery software.

At this point your best bet is likely just to completely reinstall W7 and this time choose the correct user name that you want.

Reaction score
Sysprep is used to prepare many computers for mass installs and if your computer was reformatted that is likely how you did it. Once formatted everything on that partition is essentially gone unless you use some disk recovery software.

At this point your best bet is likely just to completely reinstall W7 and this time choose the correct user name that you want.
Thanks for the reply, I do know well about 'reformat' where when you reformat "everything on that partition is essentially gone unless you use some disk recovery software." As a result of 'Sysprep' that i done before, I have managed to change my username.

Since my question number 1 & 2, already solves, now I want to know "is there a way to remove the "Setup is updating registry settings" message? and is this message is a good or bad sign to my computer?" ( See image bellow )

Untitled-1.png

I try to find solution for this, but i found nothing......

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Oh, well there might be. Try the Microsoft Fix-it for Windows Update.

And is it a good or bad sign? If Fix-it solves the issue then I would probably figure it just got stuck part way through an update. Obviously after weird things happen you keep an eye on it for a while and if more and more occur then you might consider a fresh install.

Reaction score
Oh, well there might be. Try the Microsoft Fix-it for Windows Update.

And is it a good or bad sign? If Fix-it solves the issue then I would probably figure it just got stuck part way through an update. Obviously after weird things happen you keep an eye on it for a while and if more and more occur then you might consider a fresh install.
Thank you for your advise & answer. 5 days ago (after making the #3https://www.w7forums.com/154817-post3.htmlhttps://www.w7forums.com/154817-post3.htmlreply to you) , I decided to reinstall my computer. Now all problem solves. Next time I need to be careful choosing the tutorial and don't too hasty during making decisions.

Ask a Question