How to Install Windows 7 on an XP Machine without reformatting

Reaction score
Attached is a step by step procedure for installing Windows 7 on an internal Multi-drive system without having to reformat the hard drive to install Windows 7 as required by Windows 7 install manager.

With this procedure, you can have both Windows 7 and Windows XP on different drives, and boot to whichever OS you want to use.

Enjoy,
Ed Wood

Attachments

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for making the thread about it Ed ;)

This is most probably what I am going to do when upgrade my old XP machine.
By the way, did you find a way to solve those boot menu problems?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
edawood, thanks for the tutorial. You have a lot of expertise, and hope to see you on a regular basis here. I hope that you enjoyed your recent vacation.

Reaction score
Fire cat,

Yes, I discovered how to remove the Windows Boot Manager. To do so, click on Start, Run and enter msconfig. Select the Boot Tab then delete what you do not want to show up to boot to when Windows starts. If the only thing in the Boot Manager is Windows 7, the boot manager will not appear, and your system will automatically boot into Windows 7.

Hope this helps. Have a great weekend.

Ed

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Fire cat,

Yes, I discovered how to remove the Windows Boot Manager. To do so, click on Start, Run and enter msconfig. Select the Boot Tab then delete what you do not want to show up to boot to when Windows starts. If the only thing in the Boot Manager is Windows 7, the boot manager will not appear, and your system will automatically boot into Windows 7.

Hope this helps. Have a great weekend.

Ed
Thanks for that ;)

CHeers,
Fire Cat

Ask a Question