SOLVED Semi random lock ups on fresh Windows 7 pro

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here and I've gone through a bunch of other threads but haven't found something that pertains to my problem.

Up until a few days ago I was running windows xp on my machine:

Asus P5Q Pro
3.0 ghz dual core
gigabyte HD6850
4gigs of ram (4 sticks)
640 gig SATA HDD

I added a SSD (OCZ vertex 2 120gb)
and changed my wireless card to a linksys wirelessg PCI card

I installed windows 7 on the SSD and am running the HDD as drive E: and D: (partitioned).

Trouble is, ever since I installed windows 7 it's been freezing up on me. First it was skype, but I was able to fix that problem by changing some audio options... I thought I was in the clear.

But then the system started locking up again when I was looking at slideshows, but it seemed at random.

Then I went to upload a pdf to yousendit.com and it locked up. Every time I try to send a file using yousendit.com it will lock up on me. Whether I'm uploading that file from the HDD or the SSD.

I've run the microsoft memory test with no problems, and I never had any problems before the upgrade to SSD and windows 7.

I checked the event log and all I get is error 41 which I believe is just me hard resetting the machine during the freeze.

Any ideas as to why this would be happening? Does it look like a hardware issue or software?

I've tried using msconfig to remove all programs and that didn't help. I can't remove all services however because then I can't test it by uploading the file to yousendit.

Help!

Reaction score
Try updating your drivers. AMD put out version 11.1 drivers earlier today. Also, go to your pc manufacturers support site and download any Windows 7 drivers they have for your pc. If you have onboard sound and lan go to Realtek and get those 2 drivers also. Also go to C:\Windows\Minidump and right click any minidump files as compressed zipped files and upload them to your thread here. Yo upload them click on the paprclip icon on the forum.

Reaction score
Well, I went on a driver updating frenzy and was able to finally get it to work. I don't know specifically which driver it was, but if I were to guess it would have been the Asus chipset driver or the wireless card.

Thanks for your help!

Ask a Question