Windows 7 piracy laws

Reaction score
I Have found a copy of the leaked key for Windows 7 Ultimate OEM and the site also say's that piracy is a on going battle with Microsoft.

So why does Microsoft need activation and product keys? The more Microsoft push with ani-piracy features the more follows out there are going to defeat them. Product Keys and activation is dread full not to mention annoying this also includes Genuine advantage checkers.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Most software products, for which you have to pay, require some kind of serial or activation. It is not a Microsoft invention. Since very early days, Microsoft, being the worlds most popular OS for computers, have been a security challenge for every hacker in the world. This is not about to change. It should be obvious to you that if Microsft, and the other software retailers, did not require any kind of serial or activation, then I think (lol) their sales figures would drop dramatically!
The genuine advantage feature, which you mention, should not be a hinderance to any legitimate leasors of the Microsoft OS
I believe the key you are referring to is the Lenovo/Microsoft masterkey used for their testing purposes. Quote:

"Microsoft and Lenovo worked together to solve the issue. We've worked with that manufacturer so that customers who purchase genuine copies of Windows 7 from this manufacturer will experience no issues validating their copy of Windows 7. At the same time we will seek to alert customers who are using the leaked key that they are running a non-genuine copy of Windows. It's important to note that no PCs will be sold that will use this key. "

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As soon as Microsoft realizes the key number(s) in question, they'll blacklist them from further activation attempts. Too, the ones who obtained the keys won't be able to get programs from Microsoft, they'll receive critical updates only. Not for their sake, but to prevent the spread of viruses and malware. Piracy hurts us all, down the stretch. We pay more for our software and programs because of it. Not to mention all of the lost jobs at a time when we are so desperate for them. And too, some of those copies are going to be distributed in repair shops. The ones who receive them will be shafted, although Microsoft has a program in place, you cooperate fully to catch the crooks, at their discrection, you will receive a free or low cost replacement. Theives tend to thrive, no matter how great the effort put forth to stop them.

Reaction score
Doe's this affect me. I have a Lenovo IdeaPad netbook with windows 7 Enterprise bought 1 1/2 moths ago.

whats the story about Windows XP Virus edition, Windows XP Pirated edition and Windows 7 black master pirated edition

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Where are all of these pirated editions coming from? XP isn't even important anymore, mabye third world, impoverished nations would be interested, but in the US, XP is about to take a knee. And too, piracy has been a long battle with software companies. Pirates look for what they can make money on, this is 2010 & XP is falling fast. Just stay away from them, if you can help it.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Doe's this affect me. I have a Lenovo IdeaPad netbook with windows 7 Enterprise bought 1 1/2 moths ago.

whats the story about Windows XP Virus edition, Windows XP Pirated edition and Windows 7 black master pirated edition
Possibly. Unless you have purchased the machine, with the installed OS, interoffice, it would not normally be available for purchase with Enterprise installed. You should investigate the purchase source.

Reaction score
Well over here in australia were keeping XP till 2012 and vista is just about to get knocken over here

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Where are all of these pirated editions coming from? XP isn't even important anymore, mabye third world, impoverished nations would be interested, but in the US, XP is about to take a knee. And too, piracy has been a long battle with software companies. Pirates look for what they can make money on, this is 2010 & XP is falling fast. Just stay away from them, if you can help it.
The majority of pirated editions come out of Eastern Europe, Russia and China. China in particular is a major culprit.

If people don't go to certain P2P websites then they're not exposed to the "pirated" editions of M$ products. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score

I find interesting that you have Windows Enterprise, since it's only available as an MLK (Multiple License Key) for companies to use for their staffs.

The XP editions you're mentioning is because someone has gone in to the original OS and hacked it. Added different boot up screens, Logon screens, wallpapers, software, etc. The activation has been hacked too.

These editions are only available from the P2P websites.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Catilley wrote

Piracy hurts us all, down the stretch. We pay more for our software and programs because of it.
Dam right there Cat !, i have had a few PCs in to work on that i have found pirate software on and my first step is to phone the customer and tell them (if you intend using pirate software i cant work on your PC so you need to pick it up)

Reaction score
i have had a few PCs in to work on that i have found pirate software on and my first step is to phone the customer and tell them (if you intend using pirate software i cant work on your PC so you need to pick it up)
You tell'em Veedaz :)

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
His system specs to the left show, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit.
Okay, thanks C_C. In his post he stated he had the Enterprise edition.

My bad for not checking his specs. It's just most of the new posters never fill in their specs, so I usually don't check there.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Catilley wrote

Dam right there Cat !, i have had a few PCs in to work on that i have found pirate software on and my first step is to phone the customer and tell them (if you intend using pirate software i cant work on your PC so you need to pick it up)
I don't blame you a bit. You work on one pirated computer, they tell their friends you're cool. Soon, you'll be getting a lot of business from pirates. Next thing you know, the authorities will be focusing on your shop and close it down, and that's only the beginning. Your freedom will be next. A friend of mine wanted me to "fix" his computer, it was running XP Pro with a black screen. I told him no, to buy the program, and I will install it. He said something about a program called "hijack this". I made him leave, as I don't want trouble. Had he had a better attitude, I would have reinstalled his OS. The computer was a Dell and the factory COA was still attached. You can reinstall XP Pro on any Dell with my disc, without entering any numbers. I don't know exactly how it works, but everyone that I done passed validation, except one. He replaced the MOBO & hard drive. But anyway, keep your shop clean, you're better off.

Reaction score
Today While I'am working I Picked up one of our michenes waiting to be looked at and the thing I found It was Microsoft Pirated Edition Ver 2003 so I run them up and told them to collect it immedently because Myself and our place don't work on pirated stuff.

normally we would help the customer with getting it fixed if they were tring are to do things proprly. It's our first one since I've been there.

My quistion Is was this a smart idea or not because he hasn't collected it yet and my employer said to me not to work on it.

Couldn't we reloaded a legal copy of windows xp on it?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Today While I'am working I Picked up one of our michenes waiting to be looked at and the thing I found It was Microsoft Pirated Edition Ver 2003 so I run them up and told them to collect it immedently because Myself and our place don't work on pirated stuff.

normally we would help the customer with getting it fixed if they were tring are to do things proprly. It's our first one since I've been there.

My quistion Is was this a smart idea or not because he hasn't collected it yet and my employer said to me not to work on it.

Coco, look dude, this is not a piracy forum. Sure, it is brought up once in a while, when some freeloader wants advice to get their system going, when most of us sees it, they're ran off. In fact, this happened a couple of days ago (someone "lost" their Win 7 disc). But this is an open forum for anyone to join, or just look at articles for advice. All of this piracy talk does not make us look good. Ian and the moderators here do their best to keep things clean. Please do us all a favor and drop the piracy talk. You're always "running" into these things. I'm sure there are others who are wondering about you. We're here to help one another. Being that you work in a computer shop, you have some good things to offer here. But should you keep up the piracy talk, you'll end up being banned from the forum.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score

It's good that the company you work for decided not to repair this individual's computer. Good show ol' chap!

Sure you can load a legal copy of Windows XP on his computer, as long as the customer authorizes it, pays for it before installation via credit card, then your company installs it and give him the COA and disc.

As long as that's done you're not involved in any pirated situation.

P.S.
Dude, you really need to work on your spelling, syntax and grammar. It would really help to make your posts more readable and understandable.
Just a friendly thought... ;-)

Last edited:

Ask a Question