Windows 7 PCs to go on sale early

Reaction score
Good news if you are waiting to get a new PC with Windows 7 as it looks like they will be here very soon (Oct 12th):

If you've been putting off buying a new PC because you're waiting for Windows 7 to ship, you're in luck. At least one manufacturer plans to make Windows 7 PCs available to customers early, nine days to be exact, and Redmond isn't going to get in its way. In fact, Microsoft is perfectly fine with the idea. "October 12 is the date that Microsoft enables our Authorized Replicators to begin shipping Windows 7 to Microsoft OEM Authorized Distributors," a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed with Ars.

"As the fulfillment process through our supply chain takes time, we begin initial product distribution in advance of General Availability. Therefore, this represents our Release To Manufacturing (RTM) process for OEMs who purchase indirectly through Distribution. So, while in theory a System Builder could get Windows 7 product pre-GA, based on supply chain analysis, the intended timing for customers to receive Windows 7 PCs from System Builders should be close to GA, October 22nd. This represents the same process Microsoft managed with past Windows releases."
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/windows-7-pcs-to-go-on-sale-early.ars

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with doing this. Large corporations such as HP and Dell probably quit putting Vista on their systems long ago. I noticed on my HP that some programs were installed back in August. They were going Windows 7 all along. What puzzles me though, is there are still XP netbooks being sold. Seems that they could have placed Win 7 Starter on them.

Ask a Question