Windows 7 OEM Motherboard/CPU Lock

Reaction score
I asked this on the M$ forums, and didn't really get the specific answer, that I was looking for.

What point during the OEM/System Builder installation, could be considered a "point of no return"? i.e. Tied to that mobo/cpu combo.

I know that retail copies have a grace/trial period, if you don't enter the product key.

What functionality does an OEM copy have, up to putting in the key?

Or is the key an integral part of the install process?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Best guess would be when the product key is entered. OEM licenses are not transferable so once it has been activated it can't really be moved, legally. If you replace a damaged motherboard with the exact same make/model MOBO Microsoft has been known to allow phone activation, even though legally they wouldn't have too.

If you are looking for a legal loophole to transfer the license you should probably contact a lawyer. And if you just want to test an OS then don't enter the product key.

Reaction score
Best guess would be when the product key is entered. OEM licenses are not transferable so once it has been activated it can't really be moved, legally. If you replace a damaged motherboard with the exact same make/model MOBO Microsoft has been known to allow phone activation, even though legally they wouldn't have too.

If you are looking for a legal loophole to transfer the license you should probably contact a lawyer. And if you just want to test an OS then don't enter the product key.
I'm not looking for any kind of loophole, I'm just curious about the process - that's all. I figured someone, somewhere, might know. I was hoping someone had already done the "test", and could say, "this or that, will happen".

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well when you activate it, it contacts Microsoft via internet so "that will happen". Many OEM machines, especially laptops, come pre-activated from the factory.

Reaction score
Well, to clarify, my question is specifically about the OEM/System builder versions, that they are selling at Amazon and such. I never seen one installed... couldn't even find a decent youtube video of it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The installation process itself is identical, but it only comes with one disk so you must choose 32- or 64-bit. Just the Product Key makes the difference, because OEM/System Builders include no Microsoft support.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If all you want to do is try W7 on a computer you have, then download W7 SP1 from our links HERE and burn a DVD (with IMGBurn or other software that understands an ISO image, NOT media player). Back up your current system, an image to an external hard drive is easiest, then Install W7. If it does what you need then order a system builder copy and, no need to reinstall, simply use the product key that comes with your purchase. It will nag you, but I believe you have up to 60 days to activate, so there is plenty of time for the key to arrive. On the other hand, if W7 isn't for you, then restore the backup image.

Note: Be sure to download and install the same version as you intend to purchase, you cannot install Ultimate or Home Premium and then buy a Professional System Builders product key, or visa versa.

Reaction score
Guess I'll just have to throw down the money and try it myself. Everyone assumes that I am some newbie, that just wants to stick my toes in the water, or circumvent activation. I have 1 with Starter, 2 with HP, one with Ultimate, and my work PC is Pro - All I am curious about, is OEM/System Builder available at Amazon and other places, and the precise point, that it locks itself to the mobo/CPU combo. Why? Because I do not know - no other reason.

I am aware of the various links to ISO images, but those don't answer my question - thanks though.

Reaction score
System builder installs just like any other Windows OS. There is a "3 days until automatic activation" link, when you go to Computer>Properties, that leads to the same "You must activate Windows within 30 days... blah blah blah.

When the product key prompt shows up during install - you have the option to "Skip" that step, and also a check box that you can clear, to disable automatic activation, upon connection to the internet.

Nothing special, no secrets, no difference... and activation is optional... up to a point. But never a statutory part of the install process.

There is also a "Change Product Key" link, on the same properties page, for when you finally do decide to enter it and/or activate.

EDIT: 8/22/2014 - Now says, "26 days to activate"... the "3 day auto...", never happened.

Last edited:

Ask a Question