Can You Install OEM Windows 7 and use Retail Product Key

Reaction score
Hi Forum !

I ordered a Retail copy of Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64. I downloaded from the internet and installed on my computer an OEM copy of windows (System Builder) and was wondering if I enter the Retail product key into my OEM copy, will it activate successfully ? Or will it fail ? Or do I have to do some extra steps in order for it to activate successfully ?

Reaction score
Not sure I fully under stand what you're asking. For the retail windows 7, did you purchase the install media (DVD) with the proper key? Where did you purchase it from? For the OEM...where did you purchase that from, did it come with the install media (DVD) with a product key?

As I read it, you have 2 OS's....a retail copy and a OEM copy. If so, then they both have there on keys and should be used as such for each installation.

NOTE: MS does not sell "KEYS"...if you purchased a key off the internet, then more then likely you've been duped!

Reaction score
my win 7 os is not activated successfully, but i upgraded to win 10, fully activated, sounds like win 10 will be a free os:p

Reaction score
Not sure I fully under stand what you're asking. For the retail windows 7, did you purchase the install media (DVD) with the proper key? Where did you purchase it from? For the OEM...where did you purchase that from, did it come with the install media (DVD) with a product key?

As I read it, you have 2 OS's....a retail copy and a OEM copy. If so, then they both have there on keys and should be used as such for each installation.

NOTE: MS does not sell "KEYS"...if you purchased a key off the internet, then more then likely you've been duped!

Hi BassFisher !

Ok, so here is the full story. Sorry to have shortened it up. I have downloaded the OEM version of Windows off the internet. I know for a fact its the OEM version because the manufacturer's code told me its an OEM version as I googled that code up. Now, I didn't activate the OEM version because I don't have a product key. So, I purchased my Retail version of Microsoft Windows 7 Professional from Amazon.
Now for my question: The Retail version of the Windows I have purchased will come with a Retail product key. Can I use that Retail product key to activate my OEM copy of windows that I have installed on my system ? Or do I have to do a complete format and full installation off the Retail DVD that will come with it ?

Reaction score
my win 7 os is not activated successfully, but i upgraded to win 10, fully activated, sounds like win 10 will be a free os:p

Hi TodBilly !

I thought about installing Windows 10, and read a couple of articles reviewing Windows 10... and to be honest, although its a fast system, there are other major concerns for me which the most important is privacy issue. Windows 10 sends a lot of information out to Microsoft. It tracks and shares the websites you visit, the purchases you make, the places you go, the words you type and much more.
For example, even with Cortana and searching the Web from the Start menu disabled, opening Start and typing will send a request to Bing to request a file called threshold.appcache which appears to contain some Cortana information, even though Cortana is disabled.
Let me quote a paragraph of the article that I came across that really sounds disturbing regarding privacy issues. "Windows 10 will periodically send data to a Microsoft server named SSW LIVE COM This server seems to be used for OneDrive and some other Microsoft services. Windows 10 seems to transmit information to the server even when OneDrive is disabled and logins are using a local account that isn't connected to a Microsoft Account. The exact nature of the information being sent isn't clear—it appears to be referencing telemetry settings—and again, it's not clear why any data is being sent at all. We disabled telemetry on our test machine using group policies"
And one last quote which is a huge one: "We've asked Microsoft if there is any way to disable this additional communication or information about what its purpose is. We were told "As part of delivering Windows 10 as a service, updates may be delivered to provide ongoing new features to Bing search, such as new visual layouts, styles and search code. No query or search usage data is sent to Microsoft, in accordance with the customer's chosen privacy settings. This also applies to searching offline for items such as apps, files and settings on the device." This is consistent with what we saw (there is no query or search data transmitted), but also likely to run counter to most people's expectations; if Web searching and Cortana are disabled, we suspect that the inference that most people would make is that searching the Start menu wouldn't hit the Internet at all. But it does. The traffic could be innocuous, but the inclusion of a machine ID gives it a suspicious appearance."
Secondly, I don't like not having the option to choose what update I would like to install or not. Windows 10 automatically installs all updates, even if they don't pertain to you. This is a big disadvantage, because as we saw a couple of months ago, there were several updates that crashed users computers and users had problems logging into the system. In Windows 7, I had more control over what I wanted and more options that gave me a free will.
Maybe I am paranoid, but the above that I mentioned is a need for concern.

Reaction score
Hi TodBilly !

I thought about installing Windows 10, and read a couple of articles reviewing Windows 10... and to be honest, although its a fast system, there are other major concerns for me which the most important is privacy issue. Windows 10 sends a lot of information out to Microsoft. It tracks and shares the websites you visit, the purchases you make, the places you go, the words you type and much more.
For example, even with Cortana and searching the Web from the Start menu disabled, opening Start and typing will send a request to Bing to request a file called threshold.appcache which appears to contain some Cortana information, even though Cortana is disabled.
Let me quote a paragraph of the article that I came across that really sounds disturbing regarding privacy issues. "Windows 10 will periodically send data to a Microsoft server named SSW LIVE COM This server seems to be used for OneDrive and some other Microsoft services. Windows 10 seems to transmit information to the server even when OneDrive is disabled and logins are using a local account that isn't connected to a Microsoft Account. The exact nature of the information being sent isn't clear—it appears to be referencing telemetry settings—and again, it's not clear why any data is being sent at all. We disabled telemetry on our test machine using group policies"
And one last quote which is a huge one: "We've asked Microsoft if there is any way to disable this additional communication or information about what its purpose is. We were told "As part of delivering Windows 10 as a service, updates may be delivered to provide ongoing new features to Bing search, such as new visual layouts, styles and search code. No query or search usage data is sent to Microsoft, in accordance with the customer's chosen privacy settings. This also applies to searching offline for items such as apps, files and settings on the device." This is consistent with what we saw (there is no query or search data transmitted), but also likely to run counter to most people's expectations; if Web searching and Cortana are disabled, we suspect that the inference that most people would make is that searching the Start menu wouldn't hit the Internet at all. But it does. The traffic could be innocuous, but the inclusion of a machine ID gives it a suspicious appearance."
Secondly, I don't like not having the option to choose what update I would like to install or not. Windows 10 automatically installs all updates, even if they don't pertain to you. This is a big disadvantage, because as we saw a couple of months ago, there were several updates that crashed users computers and users had problems logging into the system. In Windows 7, I had more control over what I wanted and more options that gave me a free will.
Maybe I am paranoid, but the above that I mentioned is a need for concern.
I heard these win 10 problems, it's ok for me since microsoft is a reputable company, the real problem is win 10 software compatibility, some of my games can not run on win 10, pity

Reaction score
I heard these win 10 problems, it's ok for me since microsoft is a reputable company, the real problem is win 10 software compatibility, some of my games can not run on win 10, pity
Windows 10 also has compatibility issues with some games and apps. Just like Windows 7 did when it came out, the only exception with Windows 7 is that you could have used Windows XP Mode to open up apps or games, at least Microsoft gave us an option, unlike with Windows 10. I also heard about driver issues. Windows 10 came out 6 months ago and there are still problems that other companies can't get drivers going. That is a very long time.. they will fortunately fix all of this next year. I am holding off on installing Windows 10 and just watching where will Windows 10 take off to. It will be interesting to see.
Now I came across an article that helps disable a lot of issues with privacy in Windows 10. I can't post the link here or even when I message you privately because I don't meet the minimum requirements. I believe I have to wait a day more in order to be able to send the link. So when I have met the requirements, I will message you privately with the link :)

Reaction score
Bottom line: Any key assigned by MS to any OS is only good for that particular OS and can't be interchanged.

Ask a Question