\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fon issue...

Reaction score
My old laptop running XP Pro won't boot up because it says vgoem.fon is missing or is corrupt. I bought a boot cd but I can't get in to read the files much less get a new file in the system. Any thoughts? Nothing I do let's me get Windows started... my disk allows a boot into Linux will that help?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You bought a "boot CD"? Please explain ... is it a Windows XP Pro Installation CD because that is really what you should have. Did the laptop come preinstalled with XP Pro or did you upgrade it? If preinstalled then do you have the recovery CD(s) and if upgraded do you have the upgrade CD? If the laptop has an XP Pro recovery partition you could try that as well.

You should be able to use Linux to write the file to windows\system folder but you still have to have the vgoem.fon file first and that would be on your installation or recovery CDs.

Reaction score
It is a CD that when you boot from it gives you a bunch of programs on the CD that let's you fix a problem, if you know how. I don't know how. It is not a windows xp pro installation CD. The laptop came with preinstalled xp Pro and I didn't upgrade it. I don't have a recovery CDs. I do not have a recovery cd or installation cd. This computer is on it's 3rd owner, me. CD's didn't follow it. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on recovery cd's but where would I get one if I did want to buy one?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can buy them on ebay but be careful, there are a lot that say windows xp pro repair cds - those are homemade tools and not the right thing. There are also brand specific CDs which you could use if you have that brand ... what type computer is it?

Also you need the right bit-size, XP Pro was available in 32 or 64-bit. Which is installed on your laptop?

And I found out you might have the file in compressed backup form on your hard drive if you have an HP. If you do then try to get to a Recovery Console to restore the file from folder \i386 or possibly windows\i386. See instructions HERE at HP.

Reaction score
It is a Dell, 32 bit, on ebay is it the CD they list as a repair & restore & image restore disk or is it the Mini install, or the full install disk with new windows ID numbers? I don't want to buy the wrong disk again. And, thanks for your help, it is GREATLY appreciated!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Does the CD you bought say it is to repair Windows XP Pro? Have you scanned the CD for vgaoem.* ? If it has the files you need it may be possible to fix your problem even if it isn't an official CD; I just know the real XP Pro CDs will have the file for sure.

On ebay avoid the ones that look custom made. SP3 would be best if you ever need to reinstall but they cost more ($30). SP2 would be the second best choice. But you should be able to get the file you need for your current situation from most of the ones in THIS EBAY SEARCH.

Ask a Question