Windows 7 no longer genuine??

Reaction score
Hi,

I built my first custom PC about 4 months ago. I bought windows 7 ultimate off Ebay, installed it, entered my product key, installed Microsoft Security Essentials and everything worked fine. At the time it said my copy of windows 7 was genuine.

Now 4 months latter my computer randomly pops up with a message telling me my copy is no longer genuine. Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer running, my desktop background has turned black and in the bottom right hand corner of my screen there is a message saying

"Windows 7
Build 7600
This Copy of Windows is not genuine"

As far as I can tell my copy of Windows 7 is genuine. It came with a sealed COA, a proof of License label and holographic discs.

So does anyone know why this has happened, and what I can do to fix it? If you need more information from just let me know. All help is much appreciated.

Thanks so much

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That has been happening sometimes with the Windows 7 setup.

If your are SURE these are genuine MS discs and such, then call MS Tech Support and they can walk you through this.

You should also have what is called a C.O.A. (Certificate Of Authenticity) label that has the product key on it too.

Click the 'Start' button, type: slui.exe 4 and then hit the Enter key. Select your location and follow the directions to Activate by Phone. You'll speak with a live person and they'll walk you through the step to get re-activated. Be sure you have your C.O.A. label handy too. There are other numbers on there that they may ask you for besides the 25 character alpha-numeric key code.

That should eliminate the problems.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm afraid it happens a lot with eBay W7 software.

It's quite possible the discs are real because the discs don't matter but the key may have been sold to hundreds of people. Unfortunately if you were sold a bad copy, 4 months is beyond the filing time.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Windows7help23, welcome to the forum!

eBay is NOT the place to buy Windows OS's, period. It may be that MS can help you, depending on the quality of the obviously counterfeit software that you bought, you may get a discount towards a "genuine" one. You just have to cooperate with them.

Most of these so-called "authorized" resellers are fakes. They steal keys from paid subscriptions like TechNet or MSDN, sometimes makes counterfeit COA's, shrink wraps the package with a Food Saver, sells the crap out of them on places like eBay, and gets out of town fast. Buying one TechNet subscription gives the member hundreds of keys to sell, and people fall for it.

It's happened to me, too. But mine went bad within the 45 day time frame, and I got my money back, without having to return anything.

I hope that MS will work with you, they usually do, provided you're honest with them. They'll at least give you some type of discount.

This is the main reason that I'm hesitant about purchasing on eBay, too many people gets screwed, yet eBay executives knows this, and turns their backs to it. I can usually look at a Windows software listing and determine if it's a fake or not. Usually, it looks "too good to be true", and turns out as such.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Another way to tell COA Labels

Greetings all~

Just another thought to tell if a COA is "Legit" ( at least USED to be a way that I used with XP, Vista, and a time or 2 with Win 7)

ON the COA label(s) there used to be a "blue bar" going across the exact or sometimes off set from the center of the COA from end to end.

That blue bard is like a "scratch off ticket" if you can scratch it and under that it say either "Microsoft" OR "Microsoft Genuine Software" or something to those effects USUALLY it is a genuine COA .

As I mentioned this was the cases that i have seen, with XP and Vista, Ive seen in once or twice with Win 7 . I don't see why it still would not be the case ...

Matter of fact .. looking on bottom of my Vista Laptop. Yep its there ... might have to rub a little harder than normal .. but it DOES exist. .. It might also be 2 "Bars" a red and blue. This may also depend on if you have an OEM ( my Vista laptop is an HP) or if you buy a retail version.

Just my thoughts.. as random as they are :)
~LoneWolf

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
lonewolfmage, they can fake that and the holographic images on the discs and card as well. If you read some of the stories of these counterfeiters you find out it is big business and they are very good.

If you buy your copy anywhere but a legitimate store or direct from Microsoft you are taking a chance, and even then keep the receipt.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's 100% correct, TM. I bought a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Pro (from the MS Store) for my desktop a year ago, and still have the original email in my drafts folder, plus a copy in my safe. You don't get a "sticker" type of COA for this upgrade. I also ordered another one from Newegg for my new notebook, saving me $20, but won't apply it for a month or so, just to make sure everything's alright (with my new hardware).

But I'll make sure that this is locked up too, so that no one can throw the "black screen" at me for being non-genuine.

Newegg is a safe reseller, but as always, keep the receipt & COA. eBay, when it comes to Windows OS's, stay the hell away, that's my personal advice to everyone.

In fact, I just may give MS a call in the morning, and ask them why so many people looks the other way on eBay. Surely MS employees sees some of these listings, yet does nothing (it continues to this minute), the safe haven for Windows OS resellers needs to come to an end.

If people starts calling MS, and reports these listings, it would seem that they'd so something about it. It's that obvious.

Cat

Reaction score
TM~

Oh .. I'm NOT denying that it is possible for the COA and the Disks to be counterfeited... as I have also seen that as well .. :) ..

Especially easier now a days with that "Light scribe" feature for disks . and laser printers among other technology that is available . Was just suggesting another way to possibly tell if your COA is legit. :)

To Catilley~

I agree wit you as well as far as when it comes to Ebay for buying an OS. Its amazing the diffrent ways you can get a SUPPOSEDLY Legit OS.

Or how much(or little) someone is willing to pay for an OS.

The thing that gets me, and as matter of fact I just saw this the other day to be honest. Is the ammount of money people will pay for Linux even in a RETAIL store.

When in reality all you have to do is Download FOR FREE LEGALLY
whatever flavor of Linux suites your fancy. I believe ... it was "Red Hat" Linux that was acctually boxed like you would buy a version of Windows.

The other thing I seen,again just the other day, was AVG (pro version) retail box for sale.

Just goes to show, that people will pay, just about, anything for software.

~LoneWolf

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
To produce a true holographic image such as is on MS Windows 7 discs takes very expensive equipment and special mylar foil media. The great expense of the actual holograms is what makes it unprofitable for knock-offers to reproduce.

They make get close, but in reality if one knows what to look for, they'll detect the fake immediately.

Quote:
The Holographic Foil process is a method of producing three dimensional images by using a laser to record a pattern into photograhic film. By recording the many
light diffraction patterns from a three dimensional object, or by layering line art or halftones, an image is produced which appears to be three dimensional.

The image can be enhanced with special effects that alter the background of the image or that add a "ghost" that appears and disappears as the viewer looks at it from different angles.
Cat - don't call MS, they're aware of what's going on and all you'll be doing is wasting your time and Microsoft's. Do something constructive instead.

I got my Windows 7 Professional from eBay and that's over a year ago and I'm still legitimate.

The problem is that the end-user must be very DISCERNING in what and from whom they're buying.

lonewolf - the retail versions of Red Hat Linux give the end-user technical support which you don't get with the free ISO download off their website. That's why it costs money. Plus free upgrades on all drivers, extra software, etc. The same goes for AVG products.

Besides this topic is a dead horse now anyway. The OP probably won't be coming back since he probably figured it out or took my advice to begin with and contacted MS.

I wish he had posted back to let the rest of us know how it turned out, but then that's the nature of forums. One can join for free, get the answer they need (hopefully), then skedaddle.

There quite a few cases of users with true legitimate Windows 7 install DVDs, C.O.A. and product keys that this has happened to, so don't everyone automatically assume that the product is a fake or knock-off.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I didn't call MS, it was just the fact that customers gets ripped off that ticked me off about it. I'm sure they know what's going on anyway.

While I don't like seeing anyone getting burned, sometimes it's the customer's own fault. Falling for deals that's "too good to be true". I've been there myself, looking for cheap XP Pro OS's to install on computers for a little side business that I had. I got hold of 2 counterfeit OEM XP Pro OS's, "shrink wrapped" and all.

The fakes are easily spotted. If one takes the time to read the manual, there are many misspelled words, and sentences not in a straight line, sometimes blending into the ones above or below them.

The CD's, after only one install, will reveal that there's a sticker for MS's labeling, when in fact, MS doesn't use stickers for their OS discs. You can see them either begin to peel or shrivel very soon. They look good at first, so does the COA. But when updating, two things happens. The first (quick) update, is only three of them, one of which the validation tool. It's the second check for updates that gets interesting. A pre-checked (although optional) download, has the validation checker that either leaves the screen as is, or turns black.:eek:

Then, you get that feeling like you get when the blue lights pulls behind you, and you either have a lit joint in your hand, a beer open, or both and stoned. Later on, that feeling will turn into rage, as you learn you've been burned.

While this is the most likely way of being flagged, sometimes honest customers do as well. When I decided to install my Caviar Black (after it was RMA'd) back in here, I used my first backup from the last install. It had a minimal amount of programs on it, as I had already removed the "crapware". So this is the way I reinstalled.

At first, after bootup, I got the black screen myself, with the usual "nag" in the lower right corner of the screen. But after updating, all was fine.

If a rightful, truly genuine customer, who has documentation of everything, and has a problem, then a quick call to MS will fix things normally within minutes. There's no need for panic.

The main rule is to know what you're getting when buying, just like any other purchase. There are some who gets burned on eBay, while many others have no problems at all. You just don't normally hear from them, you only hear from those who gets ripped off.

To play it safe, buy from the MS Store, Newegg or other nationally known retailers who has a good reputation, and keep up with everything.

As far as Linux OS's goes, there's some that has paid support, just as Windows does. These are geared towards business & those who wants professional support. Others do get sold on eBay, but usually they're not that costly. They are for those who has slow (or capped) ISP's, or don't want to bother downloading & burning them.

Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Though some fakes are obvious, there is a high quality pirating industry with the expensive machines and everything; they are nearly perfect, hologram and all.

I believe most of the fault lies with eBay caring about the almighty buck more than the consumer. My personal success on eBay has been 3 copies out of 5 which is 60%. I have one sitting here where the discs are perfect, maybe not fake at all, but the key looks to be a very poor photocopy.

Ebay does prevent the sale of certain purses etc from Chinese registered accounts but this is because of pressure from the legit purse manufacturers and it still doesn't stop all knock-offs, just the biggest source; apparently Microsoft hasn't applied as much pressure.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That is certain, eBay does love the dollar. They have tightened up a bit, if a seller has 5 negative feedbacks within a given time, eBay will suspend their auctions, the time varies according to the violation.

Known counterfeiters are permanently banned, although a seller could create another user name with a different IP address (usually libraries) and start over. This is what needs to be tightened, is positive ID. PayPal, an eBay controlled company, does have these restrictions in place, and you must provide online proof of ID, such as SS number, bank account or debit/credit card numbers, and the address must match the one of linked account.

I'm not going to say that eBay is totally crooked, but they could tighten their policies up a little, which would not only prevent some bad transactions, but also clean up their reputation a bit too.

Even MS warns Windows users about the dangers of online auctions.

http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/cad/default.aspx?displaylang=en

Check it out, this is informative.

Cat

Reaction score
To TM and Catilley~

As far as the retail Linux disks.

I didn't know know actually that that was the case that with paying for them in a store included Support support with that ..

Ive only DABBLED very lightly with the Free ISO's.. Mostlly Ubuntu since it comes highly recommended for a "new Linux user" and that was with a "live" cd that i got .

I tried Linspire ... and didn't care for it.

Linux determinately has a bit of a learning curve to it ...at least for me ..

I'm PLANNING on one day possibly doing a Dual boot system With Windows and Linux but that might not be for another year or 2 ..

As far as AVG .. ( or any Anti virus) yeah that I have known .. it gives you the extra support.. BUT it also depends on the company as to HOW GOOD their support is ..

Just my "final thoughts" on this subject :)

~LoneWolf

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
eBay is a free and open marketplace. They use basically a laissez-faire approach.Therefore it's caveat emptor for the buyer, aka; Let the buyer beware.

They're not going to police every seller. It's up to the buyer to be extremely discriminating and sure of what it is they're purchasing and how much they want to spend.

There are some unscrupulous dealers on eBay, they'll advertise a product for a great low ball price, then charge you out the wazoo for shipping! A lot of buyers never ever pay attention to that at all.

Yes, Linux has an extreme learning curve to it and there needs to be better GUIs developed for the multitude of applications available.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I know. I looked at a notebook on eBay, the bid was at $2, but the shipping was $899.99. I seen this on several listings.

Even last night, when I was looking for a USB 3.0 drive enclosure, there was one, the shipping over $300. I always check for shipping and other fees before bidding on anything there, and everywhere else I shop online.

I also tend to avoid places like Tiger Direct, where I have to pay taxes, due to their relationship with Best Buy. Newegg tends to give better service anyway.

eBay is a good place to shop for those who knows what they want, and don't get entangled in bidding. But as far as Windows OS's goes, I recommend to buy elsewhere, to avoid any potential trouble.

Cat

Ask a Question