Windows 7 new build using old license

Reaction score
I have run into some issues and have a multi part question.

I had upgraded my old XP machine to Windows 7 Pro 32 bit a couple of years ago. It was through a digital download so I don't have any dvd or anything. My computer now refuses to boot and asks me to put a boot disc in cd drive. I have tried clearing the CMOS, picking my HD as 1st boot drive in bios etc. How can I get a boot disc? It has been 2yrs since my upgrade but I do have some files saved on my external HD from that digital download. I just don't remember what is what.Files are:
setup1.box(2.34gb)
setup2.box(137mb)
Win7-P-retail-en-us-x86.exe (69.7mb)
X15-65804.iso(2.32gb)

Don't remember but my guess would be the exe connected online and downloaded the box files, while the iso file has everything.

Will burning this iso on a dvd work as a boot disc? I also have the original XP boot disc that came with my computer, but not sure if that will work on the upgraded setup.

Next topic:
I am building a new computer since this computer is obviously dying/dead. I want to be able to use my existing windows 7 license. Looking at my old email, microsoft's download link made it sound like I was only downloading win7pro 32 bit. The exe and iso listed above don't have any 32/64 information in their name. You guys think that the iso file will let me pick if I want to use 32 or 64bit version on a new build? I would want 64, but not sure if I have the right files on me. I did notice a sticky thread that has all the files, so an alternative would be to just download the 64bit pro version from here and just use my existing key. i think my pro 32bit key should work on a pro 64 bit?

Which brings me to the legality of this. I imagine this is fine since my old comp will no longer be in use and so I will maintain 1 key on 1 machine. Will this new comp pass activation?

Also, is it possible to install OS from a usb jump drive? I have most of my parts, but no dvd drive yet. Old comp's drive is PATA so won't work in new SATA mobo unless I buy a converter.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
X15-65804.iso is W7 Pro and yes you can burn it to a DVD. I recommend using ImgBurn to burn it. You still need to know your license key so I hope you have that. You should not need your XP disk.

BTW: x86 means 32-bit, x64 is 64-bit. If you want W7 Pro 64-bit then you can download that. In fact even if you want the 32-bit you may want to download to get the W7 SP1 version, otherwise you install and then download updates for a good while. So yes use the sticky thread for W7 SP1, either bit-size, HERE (you must get PRO because that is the key you have but it is good for either 32 or 64-bit).

Never tried it but the Microsoft tool mentioned HERE can burn to DVD or send it to a flash drive, which was one of your other questions.

New machine: Will it activate, yes. It may be necessary to call Microsoft and say that you made some changes to your system, etc and that is generally good enough for the person on the line.

As for legality ... well that depends on what license you bought. You likely bought an upgrade license which means it falls back onto the XP license, so if the XP was OEM then it was limited to the life of that specific motherboard and/or computer. If you bought the full version or if your XP could be transferred to another machine then this W7 can be transferred. (This may be a little basic, I'm sure it's more complicated but this should convey the basics of it. We @ W7forums can not and do not recommend anything but using it legally)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Will start with creating a win7 boot disc to see if I can recover this computer or get my data out.

The legality is an interesting topic. My original computer came with XP home preinstalled and I have the original boot disc for it.

I also own a full XP Pro license, as well as a full Vista license (free student licenses). I honestly can't remember which XP was installed at the time of my upgrade to Win7. So if my Win7 upgrade gets tied to the license key installed at the time of upgrade, I may or maynot be in luck. If I have to call them to get my win7 activated, would they ask for my license key of XP? Obviously I have 2 XP keys, one OEM and one full license. Don't know if they have anyway of knowing which was used for upgrade. Maybe I had to provide a key during win7 purchase.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Student licenses have their own limitations. I personally do not know if they are limited to the computer they are first installed on or if they can legally be moved but I do know that if you were to sell the computer that legally you cannot transfer that license to another person.

In general either a full version of XP or of Vista can be moved to another computer and therefore based on that license you could then use your W7 upgrade even if you don't bother (and you really shouldn't) install the XP or Vista on it first (just as long as it's only on one machine); like I said though, I'm just not sure if student versions can be moved.

BTW I couldn't follow the link (in the article I linked above) to get the download tool so here is a better one ... Download Tool

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok so I installed win7 64bit sp1 downloaded from this forum, but ran into an issue. My key was invalid even though it should be the right key for win7. This was a custom install on a brand new hard drive.

Do you think since I have the upgrade version of the key and a clean install is the reason for it to fail? Wondering if I need to first install XP/Vista and then do upgrade for this to work.

For now I left the key field blank and finished installation, but will have to figure this out before I can activate it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, first, you say it's the right key for W7. It needs to be the right key for the edition of W7; i.e. if it's a Home Premium key you must have installed W7 H.P., Professional key you must have installed W7 Pro, etc. I will assume that's what you did but I mention it for absolute clarity.

Second, you said this is a brand new hard drive; if your key is for an upgrade version then you need to use the double install method. Install it a second time onto the new hard drive.

NOTE: We've hit on this before but I will add it here as well for others who may find this tip ... to be legal you must own a qualifying XP or Vista license before you can use an upgrade license so that is assumed and understood - we are here to help legal users.

Reaction score
Yes, key is for W7pro which is what I installed. This is from upgrade version, and I do have valid keys of older gen windows.

I think what I missed is the double install method. I just did a clean install on a brand new hard drive with no previous windows installed on it. Will give this a try.

Just to be clear, I have win7 installed at the moment. I reinstall win7 again on top of existing copy, but this time select upgrade instead of custom? And just reinstall the upgrade on the same HD and it will work?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No, you still choose custom and install to the same HD

Ask a Question