New 7 Pro build stops working after Windows Update

Reaction score
Hiya all, first time posting here, so apologies if im in the wrong place.

I helped a friend with a new pc build last week, he didnt have internet setup at the time, so I left him with a new Windows 7 Build but he had not done windows update or anything after build was completed. Hardware for the PC is as follows.

Asus P6X58D-E motherboard
i7-950 CPU
6GB DDR3 tri-channel RAM
2*nVidia GTX460 (2GB) PCI-e graphics cards (SLi)
2*1TB SATA-2 HDD (RAID 0 using onboard RAID)

As I say, install goes great, drivers from Asus disc goes fine (didnt install norton), nVidia drivers (from CD) go on fine, change to SLi fine...a few days later, he installs windows updates and upon reboot, the pc no longer gets into windows, just has a reboot loop (more of a shut down as it just kills the power and says that pc didnt boot properly)...Windows repair cant fix the problem either...did a last known good configuration and that got pc working again, but because I had set to auto update, it does the updates again and stops working...

so last night i rebuilt the PC again, but stopped pc from auto updating (just tell me when updates are ready and I will download and install), tried the updates, but got the same issue, all works fine until we do windows update, then everything stops working and gets stuck in a reboot loop, so did safe mode (it removed the updates here), then did last known good configuration, after a reboot everything was still working until i turned on SLi, then same, the pc got stuck in reboot loop. Had to do another Last known good configuration and ensure that SLi was disabled, then it would boot correctly.

I am using the drivers on the discs, so should I get updated ones, or updated BIOS...as the pc is less than a week old, he is wanting to send it back, but he ordered without software, as a student he got office pro at a much reduced price (PC was supplied with basic windows running in audit mode). Is there any way of determining what is the problem without installing updates 1 at a time (43 critical updates last night)?

thanks for any support or advice you can give.

Chris Weetman
BSc ICT
MCSE

Reaction score
Hey. Welcome to the forum, Chris.

It's a driver issue. You can post any crash dumps that may be on the system and I'll help ya out.

C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder. Zip the files then attach the zip here to a post.

For now, install my attachment.

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Be sure you're using the latest drivers. Most drivers on CD or DVD are old and not up to date.

Download the drivers from the Asus website for the model of motherboard you have. Be sure to install the Intel Chipset Info driver first, that's very important with Intel boards.

Then install the video card driver next and then your LAN or wireless driver next.

Reaction score
Elmer, that is the ATK0110 driver, ASACPI.sys.

It it more common than not, even on brand new machines, for it to have 2005 version. My attachment is the latest from 2009. The old version causes issues and sometimes bsods.

Ask a Question