Windows 7 listed twice on bootup

Reaction score
I used a "clean state" bootup, through MSCONFIG, to be able to do Windows updates without failures,
and this worked for me. When I first changed the settings in MSCONFIG and re-booted, Windows 7 was listed
twice. I tried the 2nd one listed and Windows opened with a dialog box to activate, which I did not do, and
when Windows opened, there was a message in the lower right corner that the Windows software was not a valid copy.

I rebooted, picked the first Windows 7 on the list, and was able to do all the updates, re-booted and then set Normal Startup in MSCONFIG.

Question. The second Windows 7 option is still there each time I boot up. How do I make it go away.
My PC has Windows 7 Home Edition installed as well as Windows XP, and these are installed on
separate hard disks.
Thanks.

Reaction score
And the answer is...I have a G drive partition that has files dated 2009 and a Windows folder plus program files
with a small amount of applications. I formatted the partition, started up MSCONFIG, clicked on the Boot tab,
and there it was, an item for Windows 7 on the G drive. After deleting the item and re-booting, the extra
Windows 7 item no longer appears as an option when booting up.
Solved.

Ask a Question