Windows 7 HP failes to start recovery loop

Rx_

Reaction score
After running the recovery a dozen times, I finally started in safe mode.
All of them fail. Until I chose IGNORE DRIVER. The system seemed to run normally. But, on a reboot, the same endless error.
Tried the System Restore from 2 weeks before. System Restore failes.
Tried the System Restore from 4 weeks before the error.

HP computer with XP upgraded to Windows Enterprise 64. Ran with out any problems for a year. i7 and 2 hard drives.
The error seemed to happen when pluggin in a Google x2 phone into the USB for charging. But, I dismissed the plug and play and did not attempt to use the plug and play.

If I get it started with out drivers, how can I check to see what drivers might be causing this problem?

Offline Startup Repair Problem Signatures

Problem Signature
  • 1 6.17600.16385
  • 2 6.17600.16385
  • 3 unknown
  • 7 Corrupt File
Windows 7 startup with memory diagnostics - passed
HP diagnostics memory, hard drives.... all passed

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Rx_, welcome to the forum!

You can go to the Paragon site & download a free boot disc. This will allow you to boot into the OS, and do a virus scan, or whatever you need to do to repair the install.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

You should be able to boot into your OS with this disc, I've had to on a couple of occasions myself. It'll at least get you going until you can repair the issue at hand.

As soon as you get your system back up & going properly, now is the time for you to start backing up your system, if nothing else, a complete disc image once monthly.

There's several free backup programs available to you, one of which is on the same site.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Rx_

Reaction score
OMG - the Startup Repair is so worthless
When starting up, choose F11 then F8
choose don't enforce drivers.
The audio drivers like Logitech USB Hedset try to find the drivers with out success.
in this mode, the Restore that reported failure in the Resore Point in Time tool broght up a message that the restore to a month earlier was successful. But, still no audio drivers.

Failure 0x 800700b7

Rx_

Reaction score
[Bold]
When starting up, choose F11 then F8 - choose "don't enforce drivers."
[/bold]

This allowed me run Windows 7.
And, allowed all files from each users My Documents, My Pictures ....
to be moved to a 2nd Hard drive.

Should I low level Format my C:\ drive ?
And then re-install Windows Ultimate Professional and Office 2010 again?

Can anyone point to some good instructions

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you have a Windows 7 install disk, which probably you don't since HP are cheap buttheads and won't supply one unless you pay for it, use it to install a fresh clean install of Windows 7. IF you need to get a new install disc there is a way to get a legitimate copy with any extra expense on your part other than a blank good quality DVD to burn the ISO image to.

Your boot section is FUBAR and all your really doing is spinning your wheels, more or less. You're spending more time messing with this than it takes to do a clean install of Windows 7.

A lot of the HP utilities are worthless also, so avoid them like the plague. Just download the most up to date drivers for your chipsets, LAN, audio, etc., from the HP website and you'll be good to go.

Rx_

Reaction score
The HP came with XP. I bought the full blown version of Window 7 Ultimate on a CD ROM.
Have moved all the My Documents and Shared files over to a 2nd hard drive.
Sounds like I am ready to do a full install.

As you said, the Boot Sector is FUAR.
Will Windows 7 Ultimate take care of the boot sector?
Or will I need a 3rd party startup disk to format the hard drive boot sector?

Rx_

Reaction score
I will try this process
1I nsert Win 7 installation DVD and boot from DVD drive. While in some older systems you may have to change boot order through system BIOS, most newer systems allow booting from DVD without changing boot order by simply clicking on any key when prompted to doing so.

2 Choose your default "Language", "Time", and "keyboard Input" on the first window and click next.

3 You're now presented with 3 choices. Click on "Repair Your Computer" to gain access to the System Recovery window. Now choose "Command Prompt" in order to run the desired utility which is called "bootsect.exe". Bootsect is located inside the boot folder so change your directory to boot. Now run "bootsect /nt60 C:\" if you had Win 7 initially installed in the C partition. Alternatively, you can run "bootsect /nt60 SYS" or "bootsect /nt60 ALL" to repair the system partition or all partitions. Eject the DVD, and restart computer. Your computer should now boot Win 7 again.

Ask a Question