Windows 7 Freeze problem!

Reaction score
Hey! I bought W7 Ultimate edition a few days ago, and i tried to install it. after facing a lot of problems with the instalation ( had to take out all usb cables, also 2gb of ram so i have 1 left inside, in order to finish the instalation.) and now, finally, the instalation is finished. not to mention that somehow even though i chose to create the new copy of w7, my old XP is still installed.

Beside that, i finally installed w7, and once w7 starts, i enter the password, 5 sec passes, and the whole pc freezes. I Read a bit on the forums and seen that some people advised to download newest video drivers, but it didint help. In safe mode, it runs perfectyl, but outside the safe mode, nothing works ><.

My PC:
Windows 7 Ultimate edition 64 bit
Motherboad : Asus P5Q
3 GB of ram ( currently 1 gb eqquipped)
GPU- nVidia gtx 260 with newest update
HD: 160gb

WIsh You manage to help me :)

PS. BTw, if You could explain how to format mmy HD to a clean version, and then install w7 on it, i would be greatful!

Reaction score
Clean install while formatting is always best. Boot to the DVD and when it gets to where it asks where to install Windows to, hit advanced and you can format the location from there. Please make sure there is nothing you want to keep, beforehand. Copy stuff off first if you need.

We can probably save your existing install if you'd like to try, because the issue may just reappear from you installing the same apps.

I would completely uninstall antivirus first, as a test. If it doesn't help, we can take thing from there, easily.

Are you running AVG or which antivirus?

And also, please make sure you're using the official Microsoft DVD or you've downloaded only from their servers. Anything else could be laced with Malware causing your issues.

In the bios settings, make sure Plug and Play OS is set to yes.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Exinferis

In custom install in Windows 7 you can either choose full format or quick format, choose full format (takes a bit longer but its the better choice)

Reaction score
I quickly read a bit on the net, and found out how to format and stuff. so i formated my pc, installed a clean version of w7 and then installed ( in safe mode, coz in normak woudlnt work) both the newest drivers for my GPU as well as chipset and it worked for 1min, and im back to frozen PC >< Im going to install SATA update now, maybe this will help. Could it be that 64-bit version frozens when only 1 gb stick is insered( i have 2 sticks more that i didint insert

I am not having ANYTHING installed beside stuff that comes with win7 ultimate. i am using the oreginal win 7 ultimate 64 bit cd. I turned the Bios option just now. gonna install the SATA upgade and check if it helps.

PS. and how should i change the language? beacause w7 says its "english" yet everything is in german. Each box, tab option is in german, and id like to change it :p

THx for help! Wish YOu answer fast!

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
To change language in Windows 7 (if your version is supported, if not you can download language packs from Microsoft) Go > Control Panel Category view, click on Clock, Language, and Region link, and then click on Change display language link under “Region and Language” section, click on Region and Language icon, and then go to Keyboards and Languages tab. Under “Display language” section, choose a display language from the list of installed language packs, Click Apply then log out and back in or reboot.

Reaction score
easier said, harder done :p to do this with german display, and limited time ( as my pc still freezes, even after all the updates and stuff!). Is there a way to do this from safe mode?

back to the freezing. Nothing works! installed the drivers, and all the other stuff, sata as well as chipset, and nothing is working! It still freezes! Not enough ram :?! ideas?

Reaction score
turns out that safe mode blocks some options, in which comes the language change. THis makes it harder >< cant understand half of the things xD

i didint mean lack of ram :p i had to take out 2 gb of ram as otherwsie my 64 version wouldnt install. i just put them back in. i have 3gb of ram inside my pc now, and it still aint workin >< freezes all the time when i try to start w7 normally. it works in safe mode though. any ideas?

Reaction score
ok which system are you trying for.. 32 bit or 64?
32 bit should run your system with little issues..besides..lol a couple days ago i was hit with a virus and yep i got the same as you total screen freeze .
then i restored my system to an earlier copy and found out one of my programs had a bug that i didn't know about that was doing exactly that. i used microsoft security essentials to catch it
you may need to run a complete checkdisk on your system to repair any problems tht have been caused because it sound like a bug hit your masterboot record. and not all bugs are easy to find. i know.
try running a boot scan if you can and for gods sake stay away from norton..-.-
as well too sometimes more than one copy of the same program may start up.. look in task manager for extra instances of running programs.. that may cause complications too
i never use any toolbars on my system because its a good way to be infected ( learned painfully from past times)
also too its essential for you to have to compatibility settings properly set for your older programs... not doing so does also cause hangups its a pain to begin with.but once you get the compatibility issues sorted then you have fewer problems.
i'm using win 7 ultimate and loving it.. :) which is QUITE a consession from THIS loyal xp user.. i'm positive if we as win 7 users come together and share what we know with the other software companies too then eveything will work better hmm?
see page 2 for further questions XD
WIN 7 USERS UNITE FOR A COMMON GOAL!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for advice but:
-64 bit version
- I CANNOT Do a thing beside safe mode
- IT for sure isint a virus, as i completly formated and reinstalled everything about 1-2 h before.

Reaction score
alright bud.. what system are you running? not operating system..but whats your computer? what kind of ram is it? s it ddr2? ddr1? what videocard do you have? nvidia? ati? what is your cpu? dual or single? .. what is the make of your motherboard? informaton like that bud is also essential . as well as the age of the system.. because it can gelp pinpoint possible issues and solutions
.. i did the smart thing and got a custom built system which makes it easier for me to reinstall my cards and such if needed. and replace when necessary
a dying videocard will also cause hangups.
you may be needing a bit of new hardware man :Z

*sits back on haunches and thinks*
hmm yeah now that i think about it a dying piece of hardware acts like that.. in fact my sweeties system kind of went that way... froze a couple of times then died
it was his motherboard :(
and now weve a paperwieght due to the inability to afford another one..but ive got another system lined up for him anyway :)
the ram also had died as well..
and depending on the type of system you have is whether or not youre able to start at all.. clearly youve got a more finiky type of hardware setup

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok I have only W7 installed on my pc, writting from laptop.

Ram = 3gb ddr2 kingstone
nVidia Geforce GTX 260
Motherboard : Asus P5Q
None of my eqq is older than 2 years. THe oldest thing is the graphic card,
i also did a custom build

its not that my hardware is dieing. before installing w7 everything went smoothly on XP without problems. a lot of people have the same problem as me.

Edit: I Cant enter normal w7 now, not even to the login screen. i have to use safe mode

Last edited:
Reaction score
hae you got a backup of what youve had on your system? if so.. then what id had to do ( i couldn't acess my user profile at all either ) was reinstall a basic copy of win 7 then restored from my backup. that got me out of the pinch. avg has known issues with win 7 and there is no solution but to turn off the avg realtime protection as its also causing problems with even connecting to the net.
aslo too bad sectors on a harddrive will also cause similar issues... and new or not harddrives CAN fail.. ive a few kicking around here as paperwieghts XP
and one of them ( my 250 gb) died not even a month after i got it and hagnups .. whoo >.<
also not maintaining system maintenance..( cleaning the harddisk defragging and such ) can lead to issues too..:Z geez. sounds like your system hates win 7
but why do i keep getting that theres a problem with the master boot record?
because operating systems need to be acessed through the master boot record and damaged records can cause serious problems leading to complete failure of the system

Last edited:
Reaction score
My PC:
Windows 7 Ultimate edition 64 bit
Motherboad : Asus P5Q
3 GB of ram ( currently 1 gb equipped)
HD: 160gb
Have you tried changing the memory module out with one of the others to see if the problem persist.

Thats pretty comparable to my system
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
  • Asus P5Q Motherboard
  • Celeron Dual-Core 1.6Ghz
  • 2GB DDR2-800 PC6400
  • Seagate 500MB 7200.12
  • Linksys WMP54G Wireless Adapter
I'm not experiencing freezes. When I first built the system, I did have a few problems due to the memory not seating very well in the slots. After removing and re-seating the memory several times, the memory errors seem to have gone away. This was a few months ago.

Reaction score
I am back to 3gb of ram right now, and it didint help. I forgot to add :

i Have intel dual core 2.6ghz ( dont remember the number exactly , like E8000 or sth)

and the pc still freezes

Reaction score
alright . i would suggest trying cliffords idea .. shut down the system and make entirely sure everything is seated properly.
then try from there. run the win 7 updates if you can.. but reinstalling is basically what you need to do..:Z i know i had to.
what brand of intel.. amd? or other? amd dual works quite4 well with win 7 i find..
i'm running an amd athlon dual core 3800x2 cpu (2 ghz) with 2 gb of ddr1 i believe it is.. lol my system specs aren't in front of me atm but i know it something like that
ive got my main hd with the os .. (320gb) with an internal backup drive thats a terabyte. ive also managed to assign 6000mb (6gb) od harddrive space to virtual memory.

(Seagate FTW XD)

when you do a reinstall then try setting the language to english? if that doesn't work perhaps you had gotten a corrupted copy?
im still reminded of a time ( back in mty win xp days ) of when i had a similar problem.. turned out to be a very bloody hard to detect boot virus that sate everything that was my os ands chewed my vidcard but good too
i had to replace my vidcard and reinstall everything from scratch. but whatever it took to get my system back i did and t seems to have worked
just whatever yyou do do NOT try installing the wrong drivers.
ive already been met with 2 blue screens of death that way.
try getting into the repair your computer part of your disc.. that might help with something. running a memory diagnostic abnd such may help too. mem diag is on win 7 disc

if you can get a different copy of the same system to try that may work ..:p

if that doesn't then try getting an ati radeon card for your system. ive got nvidia 7600gs atm and it runs well..but i'll have to upgrade myself soon too.. lol my poor nvidia is having screen flicker because its kind of old..:p
the flicker isn't bad atm,..but still.. lol i know i'll be needing a new card soon enough..
this system of mine was buitl 2 years ago and well.. *drool* i love the performance it gives me :) imagine my shock when win 7 started running beautifully on my 2 year old system XD
you just have to be diligent with the compatibility controls
i believe you may have been hit with an unknown boot virus bud. sounds like it.. becasue i recognize the signs from my own experience with them

Last edited:
Reaction score
that would mean that i have to install it for the 3rd time, and each time i had the same problem. I have no idea how to get into w7 updates as my language ver is in german, and i cant change it from safe mode ( unless there is some secret way!)

Reaction score
i cannot change the display language to english, because i cannnot acces w7 without beeing in safe mode. and with reinstall, it wont work as i have no option to make display diff langauge than german ><

Ask a Question