Windows 7 failed update... HELP

Reaction score
Just got windows 7, and once everything was loaded it wanted to do some updates
I shut it down so It can do them and it was at 33/42 updates for 2 hours before I gave up and restarted

now it is stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer"

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Some questions:

1. Are you doing an upgrade install of Windows 7? From what you're describing it sounds like it.

2. Why did you shut the computer down? That can really foul up things where updates are concerned.

3. How long has it been stuck at the last part... configuring Windows?

You may have to re-do your install and do it as a clean install (custom install) instead.

Reaction score
Just got windows 7, and once everything was loaded it wanted to do some updates
I shut it down so It can do them and it was at 33/42 updates for 2 hours before I gave up and restarted

now it is stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer"
Mine hasn't stuck on the update bit, but it is kind of stuck in a loop of "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer", where it does its thing, reboots, and then again, says "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer".

Annoying me to no end.

Ask a Question