Windows 7 error recovery.dat not found

Reaction score
Ok I'm trying To install windows 7 ultimate on my asus m51kr laptop. I get through to all the installation m the suddenly when it boots up again this huge red error comes up n the top says can not found c:/recovery. Dat!! N I can't do anything besides hold down the power button until it reboots n does it again! N I am installing this windows 7 ultimate as a custom install not an upgrade! Can someone please tell me step by step wat to do coz I'm getting rather frustated with this. It's driving me crazy!!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you using a M$ install disc or one that came with the computer?

Are you booting the install disc from the DVD drive or staring in Windows?

Reaction score
I am using Ms install disc that didnt come with a computer. I already have windows VIsta installed on the laptop. I just wanted to upgrade to windows 7. and yes i booted the install disc from the dvd drive.

I mean the installation was fine and it was completing to the end. Just when its trying to load to the main screen it comes up with that HUGE ERROR screen.

I have read other threads and it says something about deleting a partition?

Reaction score
Did you run the windows 7 upgrade advisor? This will determine any hardware and software issues that might be present and will give you information on how to correct. Some thing just as simple as updating drivers before the upgrade. Same with software.

Reaction score
Hi Shelly86 - Welcome to w7forums

That error was tied to a System Recovery Partition in another thread months back.

Do you have a Recovery Partition for that computer?
If so removing the partition maybe your only chance.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am using Ms install disc that didnt come with a computer. I already have windows VIsta installed on the laptop. I just wanted to upgrade to windows 7. and yes i booted the install disc from the dvd drive.

I mean the installation was fine and it was completing to the end. Just when its trying to load to the main screen it comes up with that HUGE ERROR screen.

I have read other threads and it says something about deleting a partition?

It's best to do a clean install. Set the DVD drive to boot first on startup. Then reboot the computer and you'll see a prompt: "Press any key to boot from DVD/CD drive." Do that within 5 seconds and the install begins.

You'll come to a screen showing the hard drive and any partitions. Delete all the partitions and then setup the partitions that way you want them.

You can do a clean install if you have an Upgrade install disc. It's been done by lots of users.

Make sure you have downloaded all the proper Windows 7 drivers for you laptop prior to the install. Save the drivers on a thumb drive or external hard drive.

Reaction score
Thank you for everyone who helped me with this. I deleted a partition on the laptop and Windows 7 is running perfectly now. Thank you to all who posted on here!

Reaction score
I'm happy for you Shelley86. :)

Give us a ring if there is anything else we can help you with. We have a pretty good team here and all are friendly.

Ask a Question