Windows 7 and WS_FTP 2007.1

Reaction score
I've been running WS_FTP 2007 on Win Vista Ultimate as of 2007. Excellent, no problems at all! Even using Vista 64-bit.

Now I have installed 2007.1 on Windows 7 build 7000 64-bit.

It seems to install allright, but when I start it up it produces twice the same popup window error:

When I 'OK' both popups the WS_FTP splash screen (here in the background) remains. I DO get the screens to enter an ftp account which completes ok, however the splash screen remains on the desktop and nothing else happens.

After killing the splash screen and restarting WS_FTP the same happens all over again:
The splash screen appears, the two popups, one after the other, when 'OK'-ed they disappear but the splash screen remains and freezes (even after reboot).

What is wrong, anyone?

Thanks!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you tried running it in compatibility mode (set to Vista) in W7? If you right click on the shortcut and click properties, take a look at the compatibility tab and see if that does the trick :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Ian,

I had indeed already tried that. I also tried the 'formal' installation way for downloaded programs:
1. Right-click the install program, choose 'Properties'
2. Choos tab 'General'
3. Click 'Unblock' button.
.... that did not do the trick. Problem remained the same.

However....
I just read the solution as given bij Ipswitch support:

Question/Problem: When I launch WS_FTP (Home or Pro) a small window pops up. Inside is a yellow triangle with the word "Never!". After clicking ok a few times the error disappears but WS_FTP does not run.​
Answer/Solution:
If the WS_FTP Pro splash screen will not go away, end-task the "wsftpgui.exe" process in the task manager (or just reboot the system).​
- Browse to the installation directory C:\Program Files\Ipswitch\WS_FTP Professional
- Delete the file named psapi.dll
*** Please note: Only delete this file if it is in the WS_FTP Professional directory. Do NOT delete it from any other directory especially Windows or System32. ***

And that did the trick!
So it is a quirk in Windows 7 installation (I did not have that problem in Vista).
Hope this explanation helps others!

Cheers,
Roderick

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed :D

Thanks for posting back Roderick, it's always good to have a solution to help others :)

Ask a Question