Windows 7: 64 bit vs 32 bit? - Discussion

Reaction score
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

It isn't my claim, link above, MS website says that it isn't handled by the OS seamlessly and the OS will be bothering you about 32/64 bit issues. I just want the stupid computer to work, so I can do work on it, not work on it. I'm not alone because I get many calls from friends to fix their stupid Windows problems.

And if there isn't a problem, as you claim, why this article and rather long discussion? Hmm

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That you don't see the problem is the problem. If MS would write a modern OS then there wouldn't be this discussion. They won't write a modern OS because the dumb masses just keep on buying the BS they are writing.

It's not about being given a choice between 64 or 32 bit, it's about a OS that handles both, at the same time, and doesn't bother me about the details.

Maybe people will find this forum, like I did, and learn there are choices. Before needing to know 32 from 64 bits. Darn good ones IMHO. :)
Your first statement is disingenuous and superfluous. It just to flame Microsoft that's all.

Your other statements don't make much sense, loaded with poor reasoning.

Don't come here flaming Windows 7. Must be a very boring weekend for a poor member of the Cult of Jobs.

Reaction score
They won't write a modern OS because the dumb masses just keep on buying the BS they are writing.

It's not about being given a choice between 64 or 32 bit, it's about a OS that handles both, at the same time, and doesn't bother me about the details.
A little too much critique and not enough knowledge here, I'd say. If you'd like to criticize, please at least have a knowledgeable starting point to base your critiques on.

Reaction score
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

It isn't my claim, link above, MS website says that it isn't handled by the OS seamlessly and the OS will be bothering you about 32/64 bit issues. I just want the stupid computer to work, so I can do work on it, not work on it. I'm not alone because I get many calls from friends to fix their stupid Windows problems.

And if there isn't a problem, as you claim, why this article and rather long discussion? Hmm
If you tell us what kind of problems you're having, perhaps we can help.

Reaction score
This article was started over a year ago to explain the differences in the 32-Bit and the 64-Bit OS's. This was back during Windows 7 Beta/RC time frame before it went RTM(Released To Manufacturer). Windows 7 has come along way since this time frame and most of the discussion can be labeled outdated. There is a much larger 64-Bit hardware driver support. Just about all 32-Bit applications will run in Windows 7 so this wouldn't be an issue. Many of the bugs that would be expected during the release era have been solved.

If you have many clients that can't fix their own PC, that speaks allot for your clients. If 80% of the computer world is PC then we already know most of your clients will own a PC and not a Mac. Therefore don't even start talking about most of your clients problems are PC related and not Mac.

The biggest problem is that people don't know they will not have issues when moving to 64-Bit. This forms a question that generally start a discussion which is where these threads have a tendency to originate.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I don't know ... I think he has convinced me.

In fact, if a mac can run every piece of PC software ever invented whether written for a mac or an x86 or x64, and regardless of whether it is 16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit and if it supports any hardware, well then I think we should all switch.

Goodbye everybody! I guess this forum will be closing down. Hey it's been a pleasure meeting all of you. I'd say I would see you on the mac forums but since a mac is perfect I doubt any forums exist. They probably can get by with just a webpage about whether their desktop shows an orange or a white leopard.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Well I don't know ... I think he has convinced me.

In fact, if a mac can run every piece of PC software ever invented whether written for a mac or an x86 or x64, and regardless of whether it is 16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit and if it supports any hardware, well then I think we should all switch.

Goodbye everybody! I guess this forum will be closing down. Hey it's been a pleasure meeting all of you. I'd say I would see you on the mac forums but since a mac is perfect I doubt any forums exist. They probably can get by with just a webpage about whether their desktop shows an orange or a white leopard.
LMAO :beer:

Reaction score
All I see here is CO_Horses inciting other members of Windows7Forums. Whether it is out of maliciousness or ignorance is immaterial to me, but it stops now.

Either perform additional research before you post or knock it off.

Reaction score
CO_Horses said:
Windows 7 x64 is pretty much this way, able to handle both 32 and 64. With a few exceptions of course.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your processor only supports 32bit then you have no choice but to run the 32-bit version if you want W7. If your processor will support a 64bit OS though, then you do need to decide.

The only way you can run a 16-bit windows app in native W7 is if you have a 32bit OS. But how often do you really use it? You might also want to consider replacing the software or running a 32-bit virtual PC on the 64-bit W7 platform. Inside a 32-bit virtual PC the 16bit software should run.

Reaction score
Hi all,

First all OSs have goods and bads, everyone should chose the OS who's best for him. ALL have their own problems.
I'm using W7 and will change from 32bit to 64bit, not because I have 4GB RAM but why should wait?, everything is going there, 32 bit software works on 64 bit system, I think all who have 64bit compatible hardware should go for 64bit windows. I've read here in the forum that some 32bit software works a little slower on a 64bit system, I didn't see any.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello saga! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

I agree with everything you have stated. There is NO reason, in my opinion, to run a 32-bit or X86 operating system on hardware designed for a 64-bit or X64 operating system.

I have had no discernible difference when using 32-bit software on a X64 OS, nor do I see any difference. Perhaps there is, but the difference is not that great. Plus using the X64 Windows 7 is the way things are going and many pundits on the web foresee that a 32-bit version of the next OS, Windows 8, will not even be available.

Reaction score
Thank you

Just want to say thanks for your explanation. It's really helpful. My faithful laptop w/ OS Windows XP SP2 looks as though its going out but my new one is going to have Windows 7 on it, so your explanation and humor is really helping me to narrow down my choices.
cheers

Reaction score
some 32 bit drivers do WORK on 64bit win7

Existing 32 bit drivers no longer work.
Can you update you post for me?
As some 32 bit drivers WILL WORK (with workaround). I have a Labtec Webcam 1200 and 64BIT windows 7. The xp 32bit only drivers do work (workaround needed).

Windows 7 Compatibility Center- Labtec webcam 1200

Microsoft say "NOT COMPATIBLE", but I say B.S.

Workaround for 32bit labtec webcam 1200 driver (on win7 64bit.)

Don't even get me started on my scanner. Win 2000 was the last drive every made for it (of coarse a 32bit drive).

Than you.
DeVriesJ

Ask a Question