Windows 7: 64 bit vs 32 bit? - Discussion

Reaction score
Thanks, Nibiru, this is a beginning!

I bought the computer "customized" with the 64-bit installed. It does have the product key sticker attached.

I have installed Quicken 2000 (yes, ancient, but it does all I want), but can't Print Reports.

I have installed the program that came with my Canon EOS camera, but it doesn't recognize the camera.

I can't Send with Eudora 7, but with Eudora 8 I can't link from a web site to send e-mail via the website (message: improperly installed)

And current Adobe reader is completely unreliable; from one site I could print most of the pages of a document at least some of the time, but also most of them came up blank some of the time; other sites seem to be variable. Don't know whether this is a 64-bit problem or not.

Can you clarify the RAM impact? I bought this much computer because I do a lot of photos and editing, and like to have several programs open at once, and I like having backup USB ports. It's an "entertainment" computer, but I don't use it for that or care to.

I appreciate your help.

acs01

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you'll answer the rest of the questions I asked then I can help a little more. RAM?

Windows 7 64 bit utilizes RAM much more effectively than 32 bit. Plus the bus is twice as wide. The 64 bit kernel is more secure too.

Won't be able to respond until late tonight. Have to work.

Reaction score
Hi, sorry, Nibiru, it's been a VERY long weekend.

I can never remember which is RAM and which are other things, so:

500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Intel Core i3-330M2.13 GHz, 3MBL2Cch

Does this give you what you need?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry, Nibiru, it's been a VERY long weekend.

I can never remember which is RAM and which are other things, so:

500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Intel Core i3-330M2.13 GHz, 3MBL2Cch

Does this give you what you need?
Yes it does. Niburu wanted to know about the system memory, aka RAM. You've got 4GB of it, which is enough for Wiindows 64bit.

By the way, the Hard Drive is what stores the OS and all your data. The Intel Core i3 is the processor, the core of the computer which makes all the calculations.

What's your version of Windows? If you have Pro or Ultimate, you can run XP mode which is always 32bit.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Hi, Fire Cat. I like your name!

I have Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, so I'd have to upgrade for the Virtual XP, and my local guru who tried my app on his machine was not successful.

I just got this in an exchange from HP:

Virtual XP is a different application then the XP Mode. Virtual XP is a third party application where XP Mode is a feature of Windows 7

Now I'm more confused than ever! Is XP Mode just a visual thing, or does it attempt to address compatibility? I didn't read this carefully enough during the session to ask the question.

At this point I'm thinking about having my old machine rebuilt as a clean XP, storing this one, and migrating toward it over the next couple of years or three, when things may have settled in a little more....

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Fire Cat. I like your name!

I have Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, so I'd have to upgrade for the Virtual XP, and my local guru who tried my app on his machine was not successful.

I just got this in an exchange from HP:

Virtual XP is a different application then the XP Mode. Virtual XP is a third party application where XP Mode is a feature of Windows 7

Now I'm more confused than ever! Is XP Mode just a visual thing, or does it attempt to address compatibility? I didn't read this carefully enough during the session to ask the question.

At this point I'm thinking about having my old machine rebuilt as a clean XP, storing this one, and migrating toward it over the next couple of years or three, when things may have settled in a little more....
No, XP Mode isn't just a "visual thing". Basicly, apps installed on XP Mode run on Windows XP, which is, itself hosted by Windows 7.

Or, in other words, XP Mode is a XP virtual machine that blends into Windows 7.

This all means, that yes XP Mode does adress compatibility problems, which was what it was actualy designed for.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Thanks, fire cat! And I absolutely agree: Machines should be tools for mankind, not rulers thereof!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have 2gb of corsair expert memory(v.good latencies), AMD fx-57 and a western digital raptor, geforce 8800 gtx pro.

Can I run windows 64 bit or would it not improve my system. I read somewhere that I need 4gb of memory idealy to use 64 bit.

I want to use windows 7, but not sure on 32bit or 64 bit.

Some advice cheers guys

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Hi,

If you would like to buy 100% Genuine and unused Microsoft 7 Windows Ultimate, Home Premium and Professional activation keys then please visit:

C_C Edit: ***Snip url***

Your perfect solution to activate Windows 7!

Very cheap only 12GBP.

Paypal,Nochex,Postal Order,Cheque,Bank transfer all accepted.

BUY NOW!

Why is this guy still around???!!!! Mods: are u there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Why is this guy still around???!!!! Mods: are u there?
The posts are now removed. Still here, but we're not online all the time ;). I'm on holiday at the moment for a couple of weeks, but I've got sporadic wifi access to come and access the site.

If there's any spam, just hit the report button and myself or one of the other mods will normally remove it very quickly.

It's also July 4th and the other mods are all from the USA so they are no doubt enjoying themselves today and won't be on the PC much :).

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have 2gb of corsair expert memory(v.good latencies), AMD fx-57 and a western digital raptor, geforce 8800 gtx pro.

Can I run windows 64 bit or would it not improve my system. I read somewhere that I need 4gb of memory idealy to use 64 bit.

I want to use windows 7, but not sure on 32bit or 64 bit.

Some advice cheers guys

Hi jezzybear! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums.

You can run Window 7 64-bit just fine on 2GB of RAM with no problems. When you decide to add more RAM, it will run better, but 2GB will suffice.

Windows 7 32-bit only recognizes 3.25GB of RAM and I think that's where the confusion comes in, because the 64-bit is able to fully utilize the 4GB, or more.

Go ahead do your Windows 7 64-bit install and then add RAM later. Just be sure to add the same brand and type of RAM with the same clock speed, timings, etc.

Enjoy Windows 7... you'll love it!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
jezzybear,

Yes 2GB will run 64-bit but what type of improvement were you hoping for? If this is the first time you will be installing Windows 7 then YES I think 64bit is the way to go because it will let you handle newer programs optimized for 64bit,

BUT

If you already have W7 32-bit installed and have less than 3.25GB of memory, you won't really notice any improvement with the programs you already use. In fact some programs optimized for 32-bit could be a little slower in 64. Plus if any of the programs you currently use are 16-bit, they will not work on a 64-bit machine unless you run a Virtual OS under it (and this may NOT work very well with only 2GB RAM).

So my answer is, Yes, go 64 if you are doing a brand new install but NO, don't try changing to it if you already have W7 32, less than 3.25GB RAM, and everything is working now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Windows 7 will be the last MS OS to have the choice of 32X or 64X .
Guess times move on and now we can get two gig sticks of memory too :)
This is so funny, I heard a friend the other day say this was still an issue with Window. I couldn't believe my ears, so I came here to see for my self. Of course Win 7 may be, not likely, the last OS to make you choose. No other OS has this problem! When will MS ever catch up?

Fix all Windows problems in less than five minute! Buy a Mac :O

Reaction score
This is so funny, I heard a friend the other day say this was still an issue with Window. I couldn't believe my ears, so I came here to see for my self. Of course Win 7 may be, not likely, the last OS to make you choose. No other OS has this problem! When will MS ever catch up?

Fix all Windows problems in less than five minute! Buy a Mac :O
I don't see the problem you are referring too.

Please don't come here bashing Windows 7 while placing Mac or Linux in the same sentence. I'm not bashing Mac or Linux within one of their websites much less doing so while promoting Windows 7.

And I have no interest in trading one set of problems for another set. There is problems in all OS's, hence the help forums for all of them.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I guess I don't see being given a choice between 32 & 64 bit as a problem any more than I see supporting an OS only used by about 5% of the PC users as a perfect solution.

In either case you should evaluate the pros and cons of each and choose what works best for your situation.

Reaction score
I don't see the problem you are referring too.

Please don't come here bashing Windows 7 while placing Mac or Linux in the same sentence. I'm not bashing Mac or Linux within one of their websites much less doing so while promoting Windows 7.

And I have no interest in trading one set of problems for another set. There is problems in all OS's, hence the help forums for all of them.
That you don't see the problem is the problem. If MS would write a modern OS then there wouldn't be this discussion. They won't write a modern OS because the dumb masses just keep on buying the BS they are writing.

It's not about being given a choice between 64 or 32 bit, it's about a OS that handles both, at the same time, and doesn't bother me about the details.

Maybe people will find this forum, like I did, and learn there are choices. Before needing to know 32 from 64 bits. Darn good ones IMHO. :)

Reaction score
It's not about being given a choice between 64 or 32 bit, it's about a OS that handles both, at the same time, and doesn't bother me about the details.
Windows 7 64-Bit does just that, so there is no problem that you keep referring too, your claim is invalid.

Ask a Question