Windows 7 64-bit freezes on Yahoo login, or Yahoo notifications

Reaction score
My new Dell with 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium freezes/locks up (necessitating shut down of the uninterruptable power supply) every single time I go to the login page at Yahoo (for my Yahoo groups). Then, today, Windows Live Mail (that program only) froze when I tried to open a Yahoo notification email I'd received about updates in my Yahoo groups.

There are times I want to visit Yahoo for various things (like to check my groups online), and right now, I can't. Very frustrating.

(I have 4MB of RAM, 2.7 Ghz dual-core processor, 700GB hard drive.)

Thanks in advance for any help,
Thistle

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hum...

I think yahoo uses flash on it's website. Though, flash isn't available for 64bit browsers.

What browser do you use? Try IE 32bit, which is allready on the machine, and update the flash player on that.

Also, why don't you try to make a gmail or some other non-yahoo email, and then have all the emails redirected from your yahoo adress to the non-yahoo adress.

Have you considered email clients like Thunderbird? They work very well, and, in my opinion, are much better than Live things.

Reaction score
I've tried logging in to Yahoo groups with both Internet Explorer (which I usually don't use) and with my default browser, Sea Monkey. With both, my computer froze the minute the Yahoo login page came up. However, I will try updating the flash player through IE.

I don't have Yahoo email (I like desktop-based email), but I do like to visit the Yahoo groups of which I'm a member online (rather than getting individual emails or digests from those lists). Sigh. Will have to hook up the old computer, log in to Yahoo, change all of my group settings to "digest," I guess, if the flash player idea doesn't pan out.

I've tried to setup Thunderbird -- it never works for me. I usually love Mozilla products, but so far Windows Live Mail has been fine.

Many thanks for your advice!

Thistle

Fire cat wrote: I think yahoo uses flash on it's website. Though, flash isn't available for 64bit browsers.

What browser do you use? Try IE 32bit, which is allready on the machine, and update the flash player on that.

Also, why don't you try to make a gmail or some other non-yahoo email, and then have all the emails redirected from your yahoo adress to the non-yahoo adress.

Have you considered email clients like Thunderbird? They work very well, and, in my opinion, are much better than Live things.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have a friend who insists on using Yahoo, about every two weeks I have to over and fix something with his system because of Yahoo. He pays me $20 for my trouble though cause I fix it and he's happy.

Reaction score
I have no particularly affinity for or loyalty to Yahoo -- I'd be just as happy not to use them. Unfortunately, several of my discussion lists are based on Yahoogroups -- I didn't set up those groups nor am I an administrator for them. Just a member.

Reaction score
I've not had any issues with yahoo. I don't spend allot of time on yahoo. I log onto Messenger and clear all my trash for the day and then log back out. I may not have issues but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have issues if I spent more time logged in.

I wish I could be of more help. :(

Reaction score
Fire cat's info was very helpful. (Updating Adobe Flash Player) I can now login at Yahoo on IE (but not on Mozilla Sea Monkey -- but since I only access Yahoo about once or twice a month, that's fine).

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it worked out thistle. I use Yahoo all the time and I've never had any issues with it.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Glad I could help :)

I noticed one day something that said "Update Flash Player for better security", so I guessed it could have been caused by that.

For the other browsers, Flash is an addon you have to install from within the browser, so installing it directly won't do the job.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Glad I could help :)

I noticed one day something that said "Update Flash Player for better security", so I guessed it could have been caused by that.

For the other browsers, Flash is an addon you have to install from within the browser, so installing it directly won't do the job.
Fire Cat, I see what you're saying about Flash being an addon, but everytime that I click onto something in Firefox that requires it, it's blocked when you try the addon, and there's a message that says "Firefox prevented this site from installing software on your computer", (or similar wording), and you have to click "Allow". Much like IE when you try to install an ActiveX control, you have to click the bar and allow it to install. Does this mean that Flash is a security risk?

Reaction score
Something I read a few weeks ago

Security: The third reason Jobs mentions for why Apple does not use Flash revolves around reliability and security concerns. Symantec said in 2009 that Flash had a horrific security record, and was frequently responsible for Mac crashes. Jobs claims that Apple has tried to work with Adobe to fix these issues, but as they are incredibly pervasive, not enough has been done to warrant the use of Flash on mobile devices
Source - http://tech.icrontic.com/news/why-steve-jobs-hates-flash/

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Clifford, I don't know how I am going to break this to you, but this is a Windows forum, not Apple. :D

Hum... I should have said "plugin"...

Reaction score
If Jobs thinks adobe is unsecure for his OS, what do you think that means for Windows? Looking at it from that stand point, it still means that adobe is unsecure.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Adobe has been a security risk for some time, it seems like you always have to update their PDF reader or flash player. The notice about the update on the reader stated it was for security or stability, who cares, they are a problem.

I'm looking forward to the HTML5 technology that's upcoming, we will no longer (hopefully) depend on Flash. Silverlight was mentioned in the article that I read on it, too. But to my knowledge, I've had no issues with Silverlight 4.

Reaction score
The only time I have ever noticed needing Silverlight was on Microsoft's website. Perhaps that is why we never have an issue with it. I couldn't tell you if anyone else is taking advantage of the technology.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
When I upgraded from Silverlight 3 to 4, I remember it having to do with developers. The reason for my upgrade to 4 (even though I'll probably not need it) is that I have a program called File Hippo Update Checker. You manually scan, it goes through all of your programs, and offers updates, if there are any. Many of the updates that I get are everyday programs that I use, such as CCleaner, Img Burn, Malwarebytes, etc. It's a handy app to have.

Ask a Question