Windows 7 32 and 64 bit on same machine

Reaction score
Is it possible to run Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit on the same machine. I would like to load them on different drives.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes you can, but you'd need to dual boot to do this. Is there a reason behind you wanting to do this?

edit: As pointed out below, you'd need to licenses to do this.

Reaction score
I believe that your license will only allow one or the other with the same product key.
I do know that the product key is not Bit specific and can be used to install either version. With this in mind what exactly would be the difference. If you have a single license and a single computer where the key is not bit specific. You can only run one version at a time so I don't really see the problem. It's not the version that is locking to one computer it is the product key and it is not bit specific.

If you have proof that is it not allowed to Dual boot both versions with the same key. I would like to read about it.

Reaction score
Is this hear say or proof. I need to know because I am dual booting. I am using the 32-Bit as a Backup and Restore in case of problems with the 64-Bit. If you have links to Microsoft stating this is not allowed I will change the second OS to the same Bit Version.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, it's one copy of either bit version, not both - I should have mentioned the licensing in my reply. Thanks for pointing it out :)

In the EULA it's mentioned as:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That
computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed
computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the
software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the
software at a time.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and
64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

Reaction score
Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.
OK, Thats pretty straight forward.

One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
From what I can see, Dual booting the same Bit version OS is also not allowed with the same key.

Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
Log out and then log back in as a different user. When would this be a problem?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm sorry Microsoft, I will continue doing what is easiest for me. The only thing I have installed on the second OS is Seagate DiscWizard in case of Boot failure or Virus Contamination with my primary OS. With this said I would consider using anything else if it does not require an additional license or learning a new Computer GUI or programming language.

DiscWizard is a great tool but I have already run into problems. The bootable CD would load a mouse but not detect the drive when loading simple. The other option would load the drive but not the mouse. This is usually not a problem but I have run into this dilemma.

Windows Safe Mode what a Joke. Windows Backup Utility what a joke. The list goes on and on. If they can not produce adequate solutions, they should at least support solutions that are. I love the thought behind system restore partitions. I often wonder why we have no easy options to create our own images. This is all I am trying to accomplish

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I understand your frustrations Clifford. When I was transferring from W7 32 bit to 64 bit I was using 2 separate Hard Drives like you so that if anything went awry in the 64 bit install my 32 bit was complete, safe and sound. I even activated my same licence key for both versions at the same time and had no issues doing so.

I've ultimately moved completely to 64 bit and wiped my 32 bit version so I am now "legal" for what it's worth, but I don't see whay you can't continue the way you are other than, I suppose, if you are "caught". :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Your not alone Clifford i know of two people who are running 64 & 32bit on 2 separate Hard Drives mainly to see what OS is the most easy to use.

Reaction score
I only hope Microsoft will realize "I am not trying to be difficult".

I needed this other OS just the other day. My computer failed to boot, I am not sure what caused it.

I was trying to get a bad hard drive to working and finally give up. The next day I did my weekly cleanup and removed all Internet temp files, cookies, disk cleanup, and so on then shut down went to bed. I woke to a computer that wouldn't boot. "Safe Mode" or "Last known good configuration" would not work. I did not even bother with the Windows 7 Repair DVD. I booted into the other OS and did a System recovery. After one hour I was back up and running with a few less programs installed. I have not yet fixed my boot menu or installed my anti-Malware but I am at least booting into Windows 7 and it didn't take me more than half a day to recover.

Ask a Question