Win7 - Telnet & Ping are not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello;

I am in need of major help; I am in a class working with a program called Encase and it requires that the Telnet be turned on so I can gain access to their servers to work with the program.

Now i have enabled the telnet application under the control panel-->programs-->and Turn windows feature on; however, when I try to test the link I can't ping nor can I telnet to the server. I do have the firewall off and I did go in to the Allow programs and allowed both the public and home to allow the program.

The other weird part of this is I can access the internet via firefox but not internet explorer. But when I try to ping a site as simple as google the response time times out. As does the telnet address.

Right now I am not sure if I have something blocking the program or altogether access to telnet or ping or IE, but I could use some help with this since I need to get this working for a college course I am taking. Any advice would be great. Thank you for your time and I await your responses.

Best Regards,

Steven Apsey

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi trushot78! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website!

Sir, I wish could help you with this one, but I'm not familiar at all with Telnet or how it functions. Digerati may be able to help you here, but I'm not positive about that. You might try sending him a PM and see if he is able to help you out. He is quite sharp in a lot of areas.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have not used Telnet in years, and never with Win7 so not sure I can be of help there. Do you get an error when you try to connect? I've seen where running as administrator is necessary too. I've also seen where PuTTY was suggested as an alternative to Windows Telnet.

Most problems with IE are due to corrupt or conflicting add-ons. If you go to Start and in the search box, start typing Internet Explorer until you see Internet Explorer (no Add-ons), then click on it and see if you can access. If you can, then you have an add-on problem. Alternatively, you reset IE. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and click Reset then follow the prompts.

Have you scanned for malware?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Some modems from your isp also have firewall functionality, my ADSL modem is like that. It is possible icmp is blocked by a firewall (no pings).

Reaction score
Hi!!!!

For this problem, you contact the Internet service provider,
After that check your ping test, through this site http://www.whoisxy.com/ping.aspx
It has the best information of IP address, IP address to domain, domain name to IP,domain name, hosting, and ping test to know the particular connection is online or not!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question