Win7 switch from 64bit to 32bit

Reaction score
Just got a new Dell Studio laptop with windows 7 64bit, I have a lot of old software that wont work with 64bit. Also flash and firefox doesnt work with 64bit. The laptop came with OEM win7 64bit installed, I was led to beleive that I can change it to 32bit.

Reaction score
Flash and Firefox both work with 64-bit, and all of your old applications will probably run correctly in Windows XP Mode if you're running 7 Pro.

As for changing to 32-bit, I would advise against it unless you absolute must, but you'll need to perform a full reformat and reinstall, and you'll lose access to any amount of RAM you have above about 3.2GB.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
KrazzyGerman, welcome to the forum! Have you tried your software out yet on your new computer? There was a recent poll regarding this issue, what software doesn't work with 64 bit Windows 7. There were very few problems, given the extremely large number of 64 bit Windows 7 users. Too, you don't want to lose any of your precious RAM, by dropping to 32 bit. 32 bit computing is similar to XP, still alive, but slowly dying. You bought a decent computer there, you don't want to go in reverse. And as far as 64 bit Flash goes, at the current time, there's no Windows 64 bit flash player. I was intensely mad over this, and was on the verge of considering what you're speaking of, stepping backwards, but came to my senses, and stuck with 64 bit. It's not worth it, you can never move forward by going backwards. There are free virtual machines (VM's) that will work for you, even if your version is less than Pro. Please consider all of your options before rolling in reverse. If you have a question that needs answering, we'll do our best to help, so please post any concerns.

Reaction score
Hi I'm in the same boat, brought a toshiba laptop, installed from their setup choosing the 64bit option, but can't get anything to work except what was installed at setup. I would like to reinstall the OS as 32bit so I can get the same use out of the laptop I was getting from my old desktop. With the Tosh I have made up a recovery disk, but will this give me the option of choosing 32bits? I have an empty machine so reinstalling additional programs aren't a problem.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Unfortunately you can't go back now. You'll have to do a clean or "custom" install to get a 32 bit or x86 OS on your Toshiba notebook.

Reaction score
Hi Nibiru2012
What is a "clean" install, is that reformat and start again with installation?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi Nibiru2012
What is a "clean" install, is that reformat and start again with installation?
Yes, you will have to install W7 from the install disk. Choose 32bit when the option is presented.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
If the OP bought 64bit OEM, then he does not have a 32bit disk, when you buy an OEM it comes with one disk, either 64 bit or 32 bit and not both.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If the OP bought 64bit OEM, then he does not have a 32bit disk, when you buy an OEM it comes with one disk, either 64 bit or 32 bit and not both.
That is true, but you CAN use an OEM product key for either version. I know because a couple of my friends did it. One had to call MS for activation the other was able to do it online.

He can just download the ISO of the version and edition he needs.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Like Thrax said, if you have more than 3.2GB of RAM you will loose access to the extra, so if you have 6GB I would not even consider changing.

Most 32bit software that is Win 7 compatible will also run on a 64bit system, very old 16bit programs will not run except inside a virtual PC window on the 64bit machine. Firefox does have a beta version that runs in native 64bit but most people still use the 32bit firefox browser which runs fine in 64bit. Flash doesn't have a released 64-bit windows version yet (they do have linux) but if you use the 32bit firefox then the 32bit flash works fine in that.

As Kalario said, if your computer came with 64bit preinstalled then you likely do not have the 32bit version to install but you can download it from microsoft (it must be the same version 64bit premium - 32bit premium, 64 pro - 32 pro, 64 ult - 32 ult) and do a complete install: reformat and then install from a BOOT DVD or flash drive. It is usually best that you go to the manufacturers website and download all the 32bit drivers for your specific model first and also have those on a dvd or flash drive (the 64bit drivers that came with it will not work). Also any software that came preinstalled from the manufacturer would NOT be included on the download from Microsoft. If you cannot get it from the manufacturer to install on your fresh OS 32 then they will be gone because everything must be installed fresh after you wipe and start fresh with 32. If the system did come with BOTH 32 and 64 bit then the manufacturers drivers and software should all be there so this last paragraph did not apply to you.

In otherwords this could be a large undertaking and you may want to consider trying compatibility settings etc for your old software before such a major change as going from 64 to 32.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There are a lot of virtual machines (VM's) that will allow you to retain your 64 bit version of Windows 7, and run your older software/games/hardware. If you have only 3GB of RAM, that's the only way that I could justify going to 32 bit. If you have 4GB (or more) RAM, it's a serious step in the wrong direction.

64 bit computing is no longer the future, it is now, and here to stay. 128GB RAM is the future now. 32 bit is also still very much with us, but it's slowly fading, although it will be a long time before 32 bit is dead. And many users are confused, 32 bit apps work with 64 bit (most of them, anyway). Usually, it's a hardware item, typically an older printer, that won't work with 64 bit, although with some VM's, they may still work.

Think carefully before stepping backwards, while you can always go back, it's a lot of work switching back & forth between bit versions.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
I'm coming around to that thinking, "don't go back" 64bits seem to be good, found a driver for my scanner, the one recent game I have been given now seems to work well - age of empires III - the HP printer works straight off the W7 drivers, the only thing about that is the tools for the printer don't get in. For the moment I will have to do the testing and head realighment (if needed) on the desktop that I use with XP. So far so good.

Ask a Question