Win7 Starter limitations ?

Reaction score
Questions for all Win7 Starter edition Netbook users:

What are its limitations and its actual usability as a portable PC ?
Does it require an software upgrade to Home edition before its anywhere near usable as a mini PC ?
How is its performance with the 3 apps limit I have read about ?
What other restrictions are there using the stripped down software ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi kitesurfa & welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Windows 7 Starter Edition: There's no Aero Glass, no Media Centre, no DVD burning or playback, no Snipping Tool or Sticky Notes, and no Fast User Switching, among other restrictions and you can't even change the desktop background, (personally i would skip Starter Edition and go Home Premium).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I,m not sure, but I seem to rememember that you cannot even change the backgound in starter.
More like a crippled demo than a real OS!

But have a look here before you buy. The red graph under the starter edition looks pretty mournful!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies so far and the link above which lead to finding more info on the http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/05/29/let-s-talk-about-windows-7-starter.aspx webpage...
  • Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the “Windows Basic” or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
  • Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
  • The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
  • Multi-monitor support.
  • DVD playback.
  • Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
  • Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.
  • Domain support for business customers.
  • XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.
Looks like there is no 3 Apps limit which is good to read - Anyone with Win7 Starter edition confirm this ?

Ask a Question